* Tag sent messages as sent
@ 2016-04-01 15:04 Laurence Rochfort
From: Laurence Rochfort @ 2016-04-01 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I'm trying notmuch via the emacs interface for the first time today.

I've noticed that messages that I've sent are tagged with "inbox", rather
than "sent" as I'd expect.

I've configured the notmuch-fcc-dirs as follows in my init.el.

(setq notmuch-fcc-dirs "Sent")

Should notmuch emacs client mark sent messages with a sent tag? If not how
can I do so and stop them appearing in my inbox search?

Cheers,
Laurence.

* Re: Tag sent messages as sent
@ 2016-04-06 17:47 ` MaDhAt2r
From: MaDhAt2r @ 2016-04-06 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence Rochfort, notmuch

Check out afew, it helps handle that kind of thing.

https://github.com/teythoon/afew

But personally I just use the post-new hook and use something like this
after my initial tagging:

notmuch tag +sent -inbox -unread -- '(' from:email@test.com ... a long list of all the emails I
send from ')' and not tag:sent and not '(' to:me@example.com ... a list of emails I sometimes
send myself things to ')'

On Apr 01 at 10:04 AM, Laurence Rochfort <laurence.rochfort@gmail.com>
said thus:
> [ text/plain ]
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying notmuch via the emacs interface for the first time today.
>
> I've noticed that messages that I've sent are tagged with "inbox", rather
> than "sent" as I'd expect.
>
> I've configured the notmuch-fcc-dirs as follows in my init.el.
>
> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs "Sent")
>
> Should notmuch emacs client mark sent messages with a sent tag? If not how
> can I do so and stop them appearing in my inbox search?
>
> Cheers,
> Laurence.
> [ text/plain ]

* Re: Tag sent messages as sent
@ 2016-04-13 19:14 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2016-04-13 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence Rochfort, notmuch; +Cc: Daniel Kahn Gillmor

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016, Laurence Rochfort <laurence.rochfort@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying notmuch via the emacs interface for the first time today.
>
> I've noticed that messages that I've sent are tagged with "inbox", rather
> than "sent" as I'd expect.
>
> I've configured the notmuch-fcc-dirs as follows in my init.el.
>
> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs "Sent")
>
> Should notmuch emacs client mark sent messages with a sent tag? If not how
> can I do so and stop them appearing in my inbox search?

Not that it helps you, but the easiest way to implement this would be to
replace our fcc implementation in emacs/notmuch-maildir-fcc.el to use
notmuch insert, as also suggested by Daniel in [1]. This would also
enable fcc in remote notmuch setups.

BR,
Jani.

[1] id:878u3k7t0l.fsf@alice.fifthhorseman.net