* Unicode characters are incorrectly reproduced when forwarding mail
@ 2013-01-05  8:54 Albin Stjerna
From: Albin Stjerna @ 2013-01-05  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

When forwarding an email containing (what I think is) unicode characters (primarily umlauts), these are incorrectly re-entered as strange escaped characters (ä becomes \344, å becomes \345 and so on). Then, when I try to send the email, I get an error about the message containing unprintable characters.

Interestingly enough, this problem does not occur in the headers (Subject, From etc), and the problem does not occur at all when quoting messages via notmuch-reply. Also, it doesn't happen for all email messages, so it might be an issue with the encoding. I think a common denominator for the un-forwardable messages is that they contain no charset= declaration, though they still render just fine.

Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated!

* Re: Unicode characters are incorrectly reproduced when forwarding mail
@ 2013-01-05  9:03 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2013-01-05  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 05 2013, Albin Stjerna <albin.stjerna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When forwarding an email containing (what I think is) unicode characters
> (primarily umlauts), these are incorrectly re-entered as strange escaped
> characters (ä becomes \344, å becomes \345 and so on). Then, when I try
> to send the email, I get an error about the message containing
> unprintable characters.
>
> Interestingly enough, this problem does not occur in the headers
> (Subject, From etc), and the problem does not occur at all when quoting
> messages via notmuch-reply. Also, it doesn't happen for all email
> messages, so it might be an issue with the encoding. I think a common
> denominator for the un-forwardable messages is that they contain no
> charset= declaration, though they still render just fine.
>
> Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated!

What version of notmuch are you using? There has been some fixes
in this front done since 0.14 (i.e. currently only available from git)

Tomi

* Re: Unicode characters are incorrectly reproduced when forwarding mail
@ 2013-01-05  9:23   ` Albin Stjerna
From: Albin Stjerna @ 2013-01-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, notmuch

Tomi Ollila wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05 2013, Albin Stjerna <albin.stjerna@gmail.com> wrote:

> What version of notmuch are you using? There has been some fixes
> in this front done since 0.14 (i.e. currently only available from git)

I'm using 0.14. Might try to upgrade to the latest version from git then and see if it helps. Thanks!

* Re: Unicode characters are incorrectly reproduced when forwarding mail
@ 2013-01-07  9:28   ` Albin Stjerna
From: Albin Stjerna @ 2013-01-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomi Ollila wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05 2013, Albin Stjerna <albin.stjerna@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > When forwarding an email containing (what I think is) unicode characters
> > (primarily umlauts), these are incorrectly re-entered as strange escaped
> > characters (ä becomes \344, å becomes \345 and so on). Then, when I try
> > to send the email, I get an error about the message containing
> > unprintable characters.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, this problem does not occur in the headers
> > (Subject, From etc), and the problem does not occur at all when quoting
> > messages via notmuch-reply. Also, it doesn't happen for all email
> > messages, so it might be an issue with the encoding. I think a common
> > denominator for the un-forwardable messages is that they contain no
> > charset= declaration, though they still render just fine.
> >
> > Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated!

> What version of notmuch are you using? There has been some fixes
> in this front done since 0.14 (i.e. currently only available from git)

You were right in your suggestion, the problem is apparently fixed in git notmuch. Thanks!