* Maildir sync of seen flag confusing with multiple copies
@ 2017-08-10  2:47 Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2017-08-10  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

If I have multiple copies of a message (e.g. in different subdirectories
of my mail store), notmuch conveniently only shows me one of them.  Once
I've read that, though, it seems that only one of the messages in my
Maildir gets marked as read.

This seems to defeat syncing Maildir flags, because then the message
will keep showing as unread in other clients.

--
Sean Whitton

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Maildir sync of seen flag confusing with multiple copies
@ 2017-08-19 23:28 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-08-19 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton, notmuch

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> If I have multiple copies of a message (e.g. in different subdirectories
> of my mail store), notmuch conveniently only shows me one of them.  Once
> I've read that, though, it seems that only one of the messages in my
> Maildir gets marked as read.
>
> This seems to defeat syncing Maildir flags, because then the message
> will keep showing as unread in other clients.

The following (passing) test case is supposed to test exactly that
situation:

test_begin_subtest "Tag changes modify flags of multiple files"
notmuch tag -replied subject:"Duplicated message"
(cd $MAIL_DIR/cur/; ls duplicated*) > actual
test_expect_equal "$(< actual)"  "duplicated-message-another-copy:2,S
duplicated-message-copy:2,S
duplicated-message:2,S"

I wonder what is different about your situation.