* Notmuch mail notifier applet for Gnome?
@ 2011-07-12 22:02 Albin Stjerna
From: Albin Stjerna @ 2011-07-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all

I've been using a simple notmuch count-based script together with xmobar in xmonad to notify me of new mail. However, I'm thinking of switching to a Gnome/xmonad-based combo, thus giving up xmobar. I've been looking for a replacement to my mail checker that would work with gnome-panel, but so far I haven't found any. I'm sure there has to be at least one Gnome user on the notmuch mailing list, so I thought I'd ask for help.

How are you solving this? Basically anything that would display a notification icon if a given shell command returned true would suffice, though I'd prefer something that would also display a given text (read: a short fom of the specified query and the mail count for it, something like: »personal: 10« – possibly during mouse over).

Thanks in advance,
  Albin

* Re: Notmuch mail notifier applet for Gnome?
@ 2011-07-12 22:10 ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2011-07-12 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albin Stjerna; +Cc: notmuch

Hi Albin,

This is not an answer to your inquiry, but because I looked into something similar recently for my setup I'd thought I'd
share: I used xmonad before but switched to the awesome [0] tiling WM. I hacked my solution into their wiki, including a
screensot [1].
best,
/p

[0] http://awesome.naquadah.org/
[1] https://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Notmuch_mail_integration

@ 2011-07-15 18:11 ` Jason Woofenden
From: Jason Woofenden @ 2011-07-15 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Albin,

I couldn't find any existing program to get put text into the gnome
panel, so I eventually built something:

https://gitorious.org/jasonwoof/now-playing-d

It just reads stdin, and displays the most recent full line in your
notification area.

I do something like this:

	mkfifo ~/tmp/systray-text
	while true; do cat ~/tmp/systray-text; done | ~/bin/now-playing-d

then I can:

	echo "$(notmuch count tag:unread) unread" > ~/tmp/systray-text

I'm still using gnomeConfig and set xmonad as the gnome window
manager. Recently I got gnome not to start gname-panel (because
gnome-panel broke) and I've been running xmobar instead. Just
wanted to say that you don't have to run gnome-panel.

You can disable gnome-panel with gconf-editor, and say that your
panel command is /bin/true or something.

    -- Jason

* Re: Notmuch mail notifier applet for Gnome?
@ 2011-07-15 19:32   ` Albin Stjerna
From: Albin Stjerna @ 2011-07-15 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Woofenden, notmuch

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:11:23 -0400, Jason Woofenden <jason@jasonwoof.com> wrote:
> Albin,
>
> I couldn't find any existing program to get put text into the gnome
> panel, so I eventually built something:

Funny. So did I. :)

I actually hacked up my first pyGTK-based program, ever:

https://github.com/albins/notmuch-notifier

Suggestions are of course welcome.