* notmuch-emacs should correctly handle signature status on reply
@ 2016-08-03 10:28 Viktor Ashirov
From: Viktor Ashirov @ 2016-08-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

in notmuch-emacs, when I reply to multipart/signed email, signature
status gets inserted in the cited message, like this:

----------
John Doe writes:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
> Hello world!
----------

Even though signature was verified when email is viewed in notmuch-show
----------
 [ multipart/signed ]
 [ Good signature by:  John Doe <jdoe@example.org> ]
 [ text/plain ]
----------

So I'd like to be able to
1. Not include signature status in the cited message
2. But when I want to include it, it should be correctly processed.

Thanks!

--
Viktor

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: notmuch-emacs should correctly handle signature status on reply
@ 2016-08-03 15:30 ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2016-08-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viktor Ashirov, notmuch

On Wed 2016-08-03 06:28:36 -0400, Viktor Ashirov wrote:

> in notmuch-emacs, when I reply to multipart/signed email, signature
> status gets inserted in the cited message, like this:
>
> ----------
> John Doe writes:
>> [ Unknown signature status ]
>> Hello world!
> ----------
>
> Even though signature was verified when email is viewed in notmuch-show
> ----------
>  [ multipart/signed ]
>  [ Good signature by:  John Doe <jdoe@example.org> ]
>  [ text/plain ]
> ----------
>
> So I'd like to be able to
> 1. Not include signature status in the cited message
> 2. But when I want to include it, it should be correctly processed.

fwiw, i think that the cited message should never include signature or
decryption status, and the presence of these fields in the output of
notmuch-reply is a bug.

I see no reason to make it configurable to show them, and some good
reasons not to: it's arguably a leak of information about your private
view of the world to include this stuff in a reply (the user can always
choose to write about their private view of the world manually if they
want to).

notmuch-emacs already has too many options, and we should be
parsimonious about adding new ones.

i suggest dropping the signature and encryption status entirely from
notmuch-reply.

        --dkg

@ 2016-08-03 16:02   ` Viktor Ashirov
From: Viktor Ashirov @ 2016-08-03 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)