* Unsure on how initial tagging with afew is supposed to work
@ 2016-12-28  7:43 Christoffer Stjernlöf
From: Christoffer Stjernlöf @ 2016-12-28  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello!

I have the following contents in ~/.config/afew/config:

    # This is the default filter chain
    [SpamFilter]
    [ClassifyingFilter]
    [KillThreadsFilter]
    [ListMailsFilter]
    [ArchiveSentMailsFilter]
    [Filter.1]
    query = 'tag:killed and tag:new'
    tags = -unread
    message = marking killed new email as read
    [InboxFilter]

My expectation is that this will remove the "unread" tag from messages
that are also tagged "killed". This does not happen – I can find several
recent messages which are tagged both with "killed" and "unread".

Why is this a problem? Two reasons!

1. Messages with the "unread" tag reside in the new/ directory
physically on the file system, which causes my "you have unread email"
alert to go off, and

2. I'd like to understand how to configure automatic tagging with
afew. For example, the OpenBSD mailing list is just tagged "misc" by the
default afew tagger, and I'd love to switch this to "openbsd-misc" or
something.

How can I accomplish what I expect to be able to?

Regards,
Christoffer

* Re: Unsure on how initial tagging with afew is supposed to work
@ 2016-12-28  8:21 ` YANG Ling
From: YANG Ling @ 2016-12-28  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Stjernlöf; +Cc: notmuch

Christoffer Stjernlöf <k@rdw.se> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have the following contents in ~/.config/afew/config:
>
>     # This is the default filter chain
>     [SpamFilter]
>     [ClassifyingFilter]
>     [KillThreadsFilter]
>     [ListMailsFilter]
>     [ArchiveSentMailsFilter]
>     [Filter.1]
>     query = 'tag:killed and tag:new'
>     tags = -unread
>     message = marking killed new email as read
>     [InboxFilter]
>
> My expectation is that this will remove the "unread" tag from messages
> that are also tagged "killed". This does not happen – I can find several
> recent messages which are tagged both with "killed" and "unread".
>
> Why is this a problem? Two reasons!
>
> 1. Messages with the "unread" tag reside in the new/ directory
> physically on the file system, which causes my "you have unread email"
> alert to go off, and
>
> 2. I'd like to understand how to configure automatic tagging with
> afew. For example, the OpenBSD mailing list is just tagged "misc" by the
> default afew tagger, and I'd love to switch this to "openbsd-misc" or
> something.
>
> How can I accomplish what I expect to be able to?
>
> Regards,
> Christoffer

Hi, I am not familiar with afew's source code, but I think your problem
is caused by [InboxFilter]. I think this filter will replace `new` tag
with `inbox` and `unread` tags. So your [Filter.1] doesn't work just
because the message doesn't have `unread` tag. It only has `new` tag.
I guess if you change `tags = -unread` to `tags = -new`, it should work.

One more thing, `tag:new` in `query` part is unnecessary. The code below
should also work.
    query = tag:killed

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Allen Yang

* Re: Unsure on how initial tagging with afew is supposed to work
@ 2016-12-29 20:36 ` Amadeusz Żołnowski
From: Amadeusz Żołnowski @ 2016-12-29 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Stjernlöf; +Cc: notmuch