* HTML email not on white background are illegible
@ 2018-10-18 20:14 Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2018-10-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

So this may be an issue that's not worth fixing, but here it comes:

I receive email from people who write HTML emails. And sometimes these
people assume a white background, and write with a hardcoded dark grey
color, which makes everything hard to read.

TBH, I don't think the “solution” of just putting every HTML email on a
white background is actually a solution. So I wonder, do you have easy
workarounds for this issue? Changing the colorscheme on each such mail
is not very user-friendly :)

Again, thank you for notmuch (and emacs notmuch-mode)!
Leo

* Re: HTML email not on white background are illegible
@ 2018-10-25 20:14 ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 2018-10-25 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard, notmuch

Leo Gaspard <leo@gaspard.io> writes:

> So this may be an issue that's not worth fixing, but here it comes:
>
> I receive email from people who write HTML emails. And sometimes these
> people assume a white background, and write with a hardcoded dark grey
> color, which makes everything hard to read.
>
> TBH, I don't think the “solution” of just putting every HTML email on a
> white background is actually a solution. So I wonder, do you have easy
> workarounds for this issue? Changing the colorscheme on each such mail
> is not very user-friendly :)

My personal workaround is to disable document colors and fonts:

(setq shr-use-colors nil
      shr-use-fonts nil)

This assumes that you have mm-text-html-renderer set to shr (which is
probably the case if you see colors).

For emails where this doesn't work well I use ". v" on the text/html
part to launch it in an external browser.

--
	Istvan

* Re: HTML email not on white background are illegible
@ 2018-10-31 12:48   ` Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2018-10-31 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Istvan Marko, notmuch

Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:
> My personal workaround is to disable document colors and fonts:
>
> (setq shr-use-colors nil
>       shr-use-fonts nil)
>
> This assumes that you have mm-text-html-renderer set to shr (which is
> probably the case if you see colors).
>
> For emails where this doesn't work well I use ". v" on the text/html
> part to launch it in an external browser.

Thank you! This works perfectly :)