* (setq notmuch-search-oldest-first nil) doesn't behave as expected
@ 2021-01-27  2:08 Firmin Martin
From: Firmin Martin @ 2021-01-27  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

After upgraded notmuch (now 0.29.3), I realized that
the following line in my init file

(setq notmuch-search-oldest-first nil)

didn't work anymore when I entered in "all mail".
That is, my oldest emails show up firstly.

However, when I evaled

(notmuch-search "*")

my newest emails are displayed.

I checked the source code of notmuch-search and cannot understand why
notmuch-search sorts my email oldest-first when it is called interactively.

> (interactive
>  (list
>   ;; Prompt for a query
>   nil
>   ;; Use the default search order (if we're doing a search from a
>   ;; search buffer, ignore any buffer-local overrides)
>   (default-value 'notmuch-search-oldest-first)))

For now, I can sort my email newest-first by customized the
variable. But I would prefer to use setq if possible.

Best,

Firmin Martin

* Re: (setq notmuch-search-oldest-first nil) doesn't behave as expected
@ 2021-08-02  2:34 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-08-02  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Firmin Martin, notmuch

Firmin Martin <firmin.martin@ens-lyon.fr> writes:

> For now, I can sort my email newest-first by customized the
> variable. But I would prefer to use setq if possible.

It's a buffer-local variable, so you should use setq-default.

* Re: (setq notmuch-search-oldest-first nil) doesn't behave as expected
@ 2021-08-02 16:05   ` Firmin Martin
From: Firmin Martin @ 2021-08-02 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

Thanks for your reply. The question was still relevant.

@ 2023-10-28  3:40   ` Ryan Tate
From: Ryan Tate @ 2023-10-28  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Firmin Martin, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
> Firmin Martin <firmin.martin@ens-lyon.fr> writes:
>>
>> For now, I can sort my email newest-first by customized the
>> variable. But I would prefer to use setq if possible.
>
> It's a buffer-local variable, so you should use setq-default.

I don't understand anything about this reply.

1. If I don't want any of my searches to ever sort incorrectly
(oldest first), why would it be buffer local?

2. Regardless, why did this stop working? Was it announced? What
is the correct way to configure this?

It is frustrating to have a setup that worked for years suddenly
stop. And this isn't the only one in this upgrade, just the first one
I'm asking about.

* Re: (setq notmuch-search-oldest-first nil) doesn't behave as expected
@ 2023-10-28  3:49     ` Ryan Tate
From: Ryan Tate @ 2023-10-28  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Firmin Martin, notmuch

Ryan Tate <ryantate@ryantate.com> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>> Firmin Martin <firmin.martin@ens-lyon.fr> writes:
>>>  For now, I can sort my email newest-first by customized the
>>> variable. But I would prefer to use setq if possible.
>>  It's a buffer-local variable, so you should use setq-default.
>
> I don't understand anything about this reply.

OK, setq-default restores the functionality.