* How to use notmuch on several devices
@ 2020-02-26 12:35 moonmaillist
From: moonmaillist @ 2020-02-26 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi @ll

This is the first time I am using a mailing list ever. So please have
patients with me, if I do stuff wrong.

I really want to use my mailboxes on several devices, but because
notmuch doesn't edit emails (at least that's what I've read so far), I
just wonder, how to keep the inboxes the same/in sync and export/import
notmuch configuration and how to use it on a new device? Would a git
repository be a good idea, which includes the notmuch database and all
emails?

* Re: How to use notmuch on several devices
@ 2020-02-29 21:03 ` Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2020-02-29 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

* moonmaillist@firemail.cc:

> I just wonder, how to keep the inboxes the same/in sync and export/
> import notmuch configuration and how to use it on a new device?

Personally, I find http://www.muchsync.org useful for this task.

-Ralph

* Re: How to use notmuch on several devices
@ 2020-03-02 18:33 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-03-02 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moonmaillist, notmuch

moonmaillist@firemail.cc writes:

> I really want to use my mailboxes on several devices, but because
> notmuch doesn't edit emails (at least that's what I've read so far), I
> just wonder, how to keep the inboxes the same/in sync and export/import
> notmuch configuration and how to use it on a new device? Would a git
> repository be a good idea, which includes the notmuch database and all
> emails?

I don't think keeping the xapian database in a git repository would work
very well (because it consists of large binary files that change often),
It is reasonable to keep the output of "notmuch dump" in a git
repository. This is what "nmbug" (shipped with the notmuch source) and
my own older homebrew solution do. Unfortunately I don't know of a
"working-out-of-the-box" solution (other than muchsync, mentioned in
another reply).