* Notmuch search missing mail id
@ 2012-10-29 16:39 James Vasile
From: James Vasile @ 2012-10-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I received the attached piece of spam telling me about an exciting
investment opportunity.  Notmuch pulled it in to the database, noting
the message id.  But then it seems to stop paying attention to the
message id.

notmuch can find the mail when I search by the from field:

$ notmuch search "from:caroline horn"
thread:000000000000bcb7  Today 09:29 [1/1] Caroline Horn; This Company is on the rise (hv inbox unread)

But not by the message id:
$ notmuch search id:000801cdb5da$17673470$26448589@microsof000000t4ko3r
$

Notmuch has correctly pulled the id into the database:
$ notmuch show "from:caroline horn" | grep "id:" | sed "s/.*\(id:[^ ]*\).*/\1/"
id:000801cdb5da$17673470$26448589@microsof000000t4ko3r

If notmuch knows the id but won't match it in a search, that looks like
a bug to me.

On a related matter, I have a script that pulls the message id header
From a mail file and then uses notmuch tag id:foo to tag that file.  But
if notmuch sometimes fails to find the id, maybe there is there a better
way to do it?

Thanks,
James

[-- Attachment #1.2: spam mail --]

From: "Caroline Horn" <ortega@cs.com>
To: <james@hackervisions.org>
Subject: This Company is on the rise
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 20:29:19 +0700

I are hoping you investors are around your PCs, because we anticipate this
gold deal to explode huge this trading day. Whispers by marked folks
aligned with Pengram Gold Corp have told us of a positive property
announcement which will be made public later next week!

Today: Monday, Oct 29th
OTC BB: Pengram Gold Corporation
To buy: PNG M
Last Trade: .045
4 Day Target: .20

Gold Portfolio - three areas blanketing 12 600 acres in Nevada and BC. At
the moment the stock has dropped to .045 on soft trading but we believe
PNG M will comfortably move above 0.20 once this press release is revealed
to the people!!!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Notmuch search missing mail id
@ 2012-10-29 17:50 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-10-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 29 2012, James Vasile <james@hackervisions.org> wrote:

> I received the attached piece of spam telling me about an exciting
> investment opportunity.  Notmuch pulled it in to the database, noting
> the message id.  But then it seems to stop paying attention to the
> message id.
>
> notmuch can find the mail when I search by the from field:
>
> $ notmuch search "from:caroline horn"
> thread:000000000000bcb7  Today 09:29 [1/1] Caroline Horn; This Company is on the rise (hv inbox unread)
>
> But not by the message id:
> $ notmuch search id:000801cdb5da$17673470$26448589@microsof000000t4ko3r
> $

Try

$ notmuch search id:'000801cdb5da$17673470$26448589@microsof000000t4ko3r'

so that the $....s are not expanded...

note that id:"..." does not suffice as shell expands $ & ` inside double
quotes.

Tomi

@ 2012-10-29 18:03   ` James Vasile
From: James Vasile @ 2012-10-29 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)