* [emacs] thread view is showing all messages
@ 2016-11-20 19:05 Rafael Avila de Espindola
From: Rafael Avila de Espindola @ 2016-11-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

The documentation says that:

--------------------------------------
By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
--------------------------------------

Unfortunately that is not what I am experiencing with notmuch 0.23.1.
Any time I open a thread I see all the messages in it. I can hide each
one with <RET>, but that is fairly inconvenient.

Cheers,
Rafael

* Re: [emacs] thread view is showing all messages
@ 2016-11-20 23:05 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-11-20 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Avila de Espindola, notmuch

Rafael Avila de Espindola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> writes:

> The documentation says that:
>
> --------------------------------------
> By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
> signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
> --------------------------------------
>
> Unfortunately that is not what I am experiencing with notmuch 0.23.1.
> Any time I open a thread I see all the messages in it. I can hide each
> one with <RET>, but that is fairly inconvenient.

All of the matching messages are open. So one option is to change your
search (e.g. adding tag:unread)

* Re: [emacs] thread view is showing all messages
@ 2016-11-20 23:06 ` Rafael Avila de Espindola
From: Rafael Avila de Espindola @ 2016-11-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Rafael Avila de Espindola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> writes:

> The documentation says that:
>
> --------------------------------------
> By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
> signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
> --------------------------------------
>
> Unfortunately that is not what I am experiencing with notmuch 0.23.1.
> Any time I open a thread I see all the messages in it. I can hide each
> one with <RET>, but that is fairly inconvenient.

I found it. The problem is in

    ;; Message visibility depends on whether it matched the search
    ;; criteria.
    (notmuch-show-message-visible msg (and (plist-get msg :match)
					   (not (plist-get msg :excluded))))))

I was doing searches like "to:<list address>", so every email would
match. Changing the search to "to:<list address> and tag:unread" gives
the desired behavior.

@ 2016-11-21  7:56   ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2016-11-21  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Rafael Avila de Espindola, notmuch

Hi

>> --------------------------------------
>> By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
>> signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
>> --------------------------------------

I wonder if this text should be changed -- I am not sure what is meant
by already-read messages (maybe completely cited messages?) but it does
seem misleading. Having said that, I don't have a good suggestion -- the
best I can come up with is "quoted messages"

Interestingly the wording above dates back to 2009 so maybe it isn't
that big a problem.

Best wishes

Mark

* Re: [emacs] thread view is showing all messages
@ 2016-11-21 11:02     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-11-21 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Walters, notmuch

Mark Walters <markwalters1009@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
>>> --------------------------------------
>>> By default, various components of email messages, (citations,
>>> signatures, already-read messages),  are hidden.
>>> --------------------------------------
>
> I wonder if this text should be changed -- I am not sure what is meant
> by already-read messages (maybe completely cited messages?) but it does
> seem misleading. Having said that, I don't have a good suggestion -- the
> best I can come up with is "quoted messages"
>
> Interestingly the wording above dates back to 2009 so maybe it isn't
> that big a problem.

I'd guess quoted messages also.

But this discussion mainly seemed to me like something where having an
actual manual (and installing it) would help. Doc strings are not really
ideal for getting started.