* notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-03  0:04 Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2019-11-03  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I have just come to notice that, when attempting to use org-capture in a
notmuch-tree window with a message opened in the split screen below, the
capture template doesn't actually have the link or the various
replacements that are supposed to be done for the capture template, but
only empty strings.

I would assume that's due to a failure of the notmuch-tree mode of
setting up the appropriate org-capture hooks.

Steps to reproduce:
- z something
- enter
- M-x org-capture then pick some template

Do you know of a way of having such hooks?

Thank you as always for this neat piece of software,
  Leo

* Re: notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-03  9:05 ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2019-11-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard, notmuch

On Sunday, 2019-11-03 at 01:04:47 +01, Leo Gaspard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just come to notice that, when attempting to use
> org-capture in a notmuch-tree window with a message opened in
> the split screen below, the capture template doesn't actually
> have the link or the various replacements that are supposed to
> be done for the capture template, but only empty strings.
>
> I would assume that's due to a failure of the notmuch-tree mode
> of setting up the appropriate org-capture hooks.
>
> Steps to reproduce: - z something - enter - M-x org-capture then
> pick some template
>
> Do you know of a way of having such hooks?

It looks as though the version of ol-notmuch.el currently in
org-mode git has support for notmuch-tree (added in April 2019).

Do you have the latest bits?

dme.
--
J'aurais toujours faim de toi.

* Re: notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-03 13:32   ` Tristan Cacqueray
From: Tristan Cacqueray @ 2019-11-03 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edmondson, Leo Gaspard, notmuch

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 09:05 David Edmondson wrote:
> On Sunday, 2019-11-03 at 01:04:47 +01, Leo Gaspard wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just come to notice that, when attempting to use
>> org-capture in a notmuch-tree window with a message opened in
>> the split screen below, the capture template doesn't actually
>> have the link or the various replacements that are supposed to
>> be done for the capture template, but only empty strings.
>>
>> I would assume that's due to a failure of the notmuch-tree mode
>> of setting up the appropriate org-capture hooks.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce: - z something - enter - M-x org-capture then
>> pick some template
>>
>> Do you know of a way of having such hooks?
>
> It looks as though the version of ol-notmuch.el currently in
> org-mode git has support for notmuch-tree (added in April 2019).
>
> Do you have the latest bits?

The org contrib lisp files got renamed earlier this year from
org-notmuch to ol-notmuch. Make sure to load the new one, for example
with use-package:

  (use-package ol-notmuch :after (org notmuch))

Cheers,
-Tristan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-04  0:21     ` Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2019-11-04  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Cacqueray, David Edmondson, notmuch

Tristan Cacqueray <tdecacqu@redhat.com> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 09:05 David Edmondson wrote:
>> On Sunday, 2019-11-03 at 01:04:47 +01, Leo Gaspard wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have just come to notice that, when attempting to use
>>> org-capture in a notmuch-tree window with a message opened in
>>> the split screen below, the capture template doesn't actually
>>> have the link or the various replacements that are supposed to
>>> be done for the capture template, but only empty strings.
>>>
>>> I would assume that's due to a failure of the notmuch-tree mode
>>> of setting up the appropriate org-capture hooks.
>>>
>>> Steps to reproduce: - z something - enter - M-x org-capture then
>>> pick some template
>>>
>>> Do you know of a way of having such hooks?
>>
>> It looks as though the version of ol-notmuch.el currently in
>> org-mode git has support for notmuch-tree (added in April 2019).
>>
>> Do you have the latest bits?
>>

> The org contrib lisp files got renamed earlier this year from
> org-notmuch to ol-notmuch. Make sure to load the new one, for example
> with use-package:
>
>   (use-package ol-notmuch :after (org notmuch))

Hmm I'm on 9.2.3 for the time being, and there appears to be no change
to anything named `notmuch` between 9.2.3 and 9.2.6.

Is the change you're talking of unreleased yet?

* Re: notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-04  2:12       ` Tristan Cacqueray
From: Tristan Cacqueray @ 2019-11-04  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard, David Edmondson, notmuch

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 01:21 Leo Gaspard wrote:
> Tristan Cacqueray <tdecacqu@redhat.com> writes:

>>> It looks as though the version of ol-notmuch.el currently in
>>> org-mode git has support for notmuch-tree (added in April 2019).
>>>
>>> Do you have the latest bits?
>>>

>> The org contrib lisp files got renamed earlier this year from
>> org-notmuch to ol-notmuch. Make sure to load the new one, for example
>> with use-package:
>>
>>   (use-package ol-notmuch :after (org notmuch))
>
> Hmm I'm on 9.2.3 for the time being, and there appears to be no change
> to anything named `notmuch` between 9.2.3 and 9.2.6.
>
> Is the change you're talking of unreleased yet?

Indeed the change isn't actually released, the rename happened in:
  https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/499c0a50cc4b11e37b91374af23cb27ab8fc20d2

Thus requiring org-notmuch should work for 9.2.3.

-Tristan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: notmuch-mode and org-capture
@ 2019-11-04 10:41         ` Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2019-11-04 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Cacqueray, David Edmondson, notmuch

Tristan Cacqueray <tdecacqu@redhat.com> writes:
>> Hmm I'm on 9.2.3 for the time being, and there appears to be no change
>> to anything named `notmuch` between 9.2.3 and 9.2.6.
>>
>> Is the change you're talking of unreleased yet?
>
> Indeed the change isn't actually released, the rename happened in:
>   https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/499c0a50cc4b11e37b91374af23cb27ab8fc20d2
>
> Thus requiring org-notmuch should work for 9.2.3.

Having checked a bit more in-depth the code, thanks to your pointers, it
looks like the addition of notmuch-tree to the org-notmuch-store-link
function hasn't made it into released code. I've just tried using the
stupidest possible patch by just adding notmuch-tree-mode, and it looks
like it's not enough.

Guess I'll wait for 9.3, then, thank you for your help!