* Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08  3:44 Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2012-12-08  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Do we support them? Are we going to?

This doesn't work:
notmuch search -tag:"This has spaces"

Nor does:
notmuch search "-tag:This has spaces"

* Re: Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08  6:21 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-12-08  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld, notmuch

On Sat, Dec 08 2012, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Do we support them? Are we going to?
>
> This doesn't work:
> notmuch search -tag:"This has spaces"
>
> Nor does:
> notmuch search "-tag:This has spaces"

This might work:

notmuch search "-tag:'This has spaces'"

* Re: Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08  6:24 ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2012-12-08  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: notmuch

Quoth Jason A. Donenfeld on Dec 08 at  4:44 am:
> Do we support them? Are we going to?
>
> This doesn't work:
> notmuch search -tag:"This has spaces"
>
> Nor does:
> notmuch search "-tag:This has spaces"

Tags with spaces are supported, but your shell will strip away the
quotes you've used in both examples before notmuch ever sees them.
You'll need both shell quoting and Xapian quoting in this case.  Try
  notmuch search -- '-tag:"This has spaces"'
This should be easier from a front-end, since it will take care of any
necessary shell quoting.

* Re: Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08  6:27   ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2012-12-08  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: notmuch

Quoth Tomi Ollila on Dec 08 at  8:21 am:
> On Sat, Dec 08 2012, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
>
> > Do we support them? Are we going to?
> >
> > This doesn't work:
> > notmuch search -tag:"This has spaces"
> >
> > Nor does:
> > notmuch search "-tag:This has spaces"
>
> This might work:
>
> notmuch search "-tag:'This has spaces'"

Xapian's query parser doesn't recognize single quotes, unfortunately.

When in doubt,

$ NOTMUCH_DEBUG_QUERY=1 notmuch search '-tag:"This tag has spaces"'
Final query is:
Xapian::Query((Tmail AND 0 * KThis tag has spaces))

$ NOTMUCH_DEBUG_QUERY=1 notmuch search "-tag:'This tag has spaces'"
Final query is:
Xapian::Query((Tmail AND ((Ztag:(pos=1) AND Zhas:(pos=2) AND Zspace:(pos=3)) AND_NOT K'This)))

* Re: Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08 13:22     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2012-12-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Clements, Tomi Ollila, notmuch

Very helpful! Thanks folks for the explanations.

Another thing to note is that the dump format doesn't add any quotes
to the tags, so this is something of an issue I suppose.

* Re: Tags with spaces
@ 2012-12-08 15:21   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2012-12-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Clements, Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: notmuch

Austin Clements <amdragon@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Tags with spaces are supported, but your shell will strip away the
> quotes you've used in both examples before notmuch ever sees them.
> You'll need both shell quoting and Xapian quoting in this case.  Try
>   notmuch search -- '-tag:"This has spaces"'
> This should be easier from a front-end, since it will take care of any
> necessary shell quoting.

Note that there are also patches in the works that add a hex encoded
format for notmuch-tag on standard input; so far we have tried to do
that for regular command line arguments, but it's a possibility.