* Attach public key and encrypt by default
@ 2019-12-16 22:57 Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
From: Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano @ 2019-12-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if there is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!
-/-\-/-\-/-

Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]

🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb

🕸Fediverse: @gigavinyl@catgirl.science

* Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default
@ 2019-12-17  3:52 ` Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
From: Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano @ 2019-12-17  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Oh! I figured out how to encrypt by default. I still can't figure out how to attach my public key by default though.

@ 2019-12-17  4:02   ` Brian Sniffen
From: Brian Sniffen @ 2019-12-17  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carolyn Lynn Knight-Serrano; +Cc: notmuch

Two ideas:

echo “-- “ > ~/.signature
gpg -a -e $USER >> !$

This is hardly polite, but at least the signature will be stripped off by many archives and replies.

Alternatively,

(add-hook ‘message-setup-hook (lambda () (mml-attach-file “path/to/pubkey.gpg”))

But this still puts kilobytes of useless crud on every message. Please don’t. Maybe a URL to your key in your signature would be enough?

--
Brian Sniffen

@ 2019-12-17 11:11 ` Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2019-12-17 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

* Carolyn Knight-Serrano:

> would it be possible to add or configure in support for automatically
> adding your gpg public key to messages?

As already mentioned, adding several KB of GPG key to the body of each
of your messages would be very impolite, and it might get you flagged as
a spammer.

A possible alternative is Autocrypt (https://autocrypt.org/) which uses
the message header, but the most bandwidth-friendly method is still a
URL pointing to your self-hosted key material. Also there are publicly
available key servers like http://pgp.mit.edu , with their own pros and
cons.

-Ralph

* Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default
@ 2019-12-17 18:46 ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2019-12-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carolyn Lynn Knight-Serrano, notmuch

On Mon, Dec 16 2019, "Carolyn \"Lynn\" Knight-Serrano" <gigavinyl@riseup.net> wrote:
> I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it
> be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding
> your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that
> checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if
> there is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!

Hi, Carolyn.  Both of these features is basically exactly what autocrypt
aims to provide:

https://autocrypt.org/

I know that Daniel Gillmor (dkg) and others have been actively working
on building autocrypt support into notmuch and notmuch-emacs.  I too
really want autocrypt support in notmuch, and am wishing I had more time
to help integrate it.  Maybe we can convince dkg to report on where he
sees things right now and we can outline a development work plan to help
push development forward.

jamie.

* Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default
@ 2019-12-18 18:35   ` Jörg Volbers
From: Jörg Volbers @ 2019-12-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, Carolyn Lynn Knight-Serrano, notmuch