* debian build-dependencies for testing should be marked <!nocheck>
@ 2015-12-09 20:49 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2015-12-09 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi notmuch people--

debian/control's build-dependencies list a bunch of things that i think
are only relevant for running the tests (e.g. dtach -- and maybe emacs
and bash-completion and other packages).

These should be marked <!nocheck> so that dpkg-buildpackage can know to
ignore them when trying to build with BUILD_DEB_OPTIONS=nocheck.

This is called a "build profile", if you want to look up more about it:

  https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec
  https://bugs.debian.org/757760

I'd send a patch, but i'm not entirely sure which packages are strictly
for the build-time tests, so i hope someone with more experience with
the debian package can mark them appropriately.  Thanks!

Regards,

       --dkg

* Re: debian build-dependencies for testing should be marked <!nocheck>
@ 2015-12-10 12:09 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2015-12-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> hi notmuch people--
>
> debian/control's build-dependencies list a bunch of things that i think
> are only relevant for running the tests (e.g. dtach -- and maybe emacs
> and bash-completion and other packages).
>
> These should be marked <!nocheck> so that dpkg-buildpackage can know to
> ignore them when trying to build with BUILD_DEB_OPTIONS=nocheck.
>
> This is called a "build profile", if you want to look up more about it:
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec
>   https://bugs.debian.org/757760
>
> I'd send a patch, but i'm not entirely sure which packages are strictly
> for the build-time tests, so i hope someone with more experience with
> the debian package can mark them appropriately.  Thanks!

Daniel and I chatted a bit on IRC, but for the record, other than lack
of time, my current concern about this is how well supported
build-profiles are supported on Debian stable. I haven't researched
this, but feedback is welcome.

BTW, bash completion is not there for the tests, nor is emacs (only) for
the tests.  Emacs might be avoidable as a Debian build-dep (since Debian
does byte compilation at install time), but would come back if we switch
to "dh_elpa".

* Re: debian build-dependencies for testing should be marked <!nocheck>
@ 2015-12-11 13:23   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2015-12-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Daniel and I chatted a bit on IRC, but for the record, other than lack
> of time, my current concern about this is how well supported
> build-profiles are supported on Debian stable. I haven't researched
> this, but feedback is welcome.

I was updating the smime series, and I decided to try it out. Build profiles seem
to work in Debian Stable. For me this is old enough, so unless convinced
otherwise, I'll gradually start using <!nocheck> for test suite only for
test suite only deps. As a seperate issue, the packaging needs to be
updated not to run the test suite when DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.

* Re: debian build-dependencies for testing should be marked <!nocheck>
@ 2015-12-11 13:25     ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2015-12-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri 2015-12-11 08:23:09 -0500, David Bremner wrote:
> I was updating the smime series, and I decided to try it out. Build profiles seem
> to work in Debian Stable. For me this is old enough, so unless convinced
> otherwise, I'll gradually start using <!nocheck> for test suite only for
> test suite only deps. As a seperate issue, the packaging needs to be
> updated not to run the test suite when DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.

Cool, thanks for taking these steps, bremner!

      --dkg