* Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-11 11:11 Vika Shleina
From: Vika Shleina @ 2018-10-11 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I think notmuch started to work too well for me. The constant feeling of
having not much mail in the box starts to make me worried.

How do you feel when using notmuch?

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-11 11:42 ` Ben Oliver
From: Ben Oliver @ 2018-10-11 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 18-10-11 14:11:54, Vika Shleina wrote:
>I think notmuch started to work too well for me. The constant feeling of
>having not much mail in the box starts to make me worried.
>
>How do you feel when using notmuch?

I have to give a shoutout to the devs - thank you! I was really worried
moving away from gmail search but notmuch is getting me the same or
better hits.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-11 13:54   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2018-10-11 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Oliver, notmuch, Vika Shleina

On Thu 2018-10-11 12:42:35 +0100, Ben Oliver wrote:
> On 18-10-11 14:11:54, Vika Shleina wrote:
>>I think notmuch started to work too well for me. The constant feeling of
>>having not much mail in the box starts to make me worried.
>>
>>How do you feel when using notmuch?
>
> I have to give a shoutout to the devs - thank you! I was really worried
> moving away from gmail search but notmuch is getting me the same or
> better hits.

As a minor notmuch contributor, this short thread makes me very happy.
Mailing lists are usually (understandably) filled with complaints, and
it's quite nice to hear appreciation as well :)

Thanks to both Vika and Ben for the kind words.

       --dkg

PS how do *i* feel?  i still feel overwhelmed by the inbox i handle with
notmuch.  but that inbox has an order of magnitude more mail than the
inbox i handle with $other_mua, and i feel even more overwhelmed there.
So thanks, notmuch!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-11 16:17     ` Vika Shleina
From: Vika Shleina @ 2018-10-11 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Oliver, Daniel Kahn Gillmor, notmuch

Quoting Daniel Kahn Gillmor (2018-10-11 16:54:37)
> As a minor notmuch contributor, this short thread makes me very happy.
> Mailing lists are usually (understandably) filled with complaints, and
> it's quite nice to hear appreciation as well :)

So, I'd like to thank all people who contributed to this tool, and I
think it's the best e-mail tool there is, when combined with an
automatic tagging system.

Now I shouldn't be afraid to subscribe to a ton of mailing lists...

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-12 13:26 Kim ALLAMANDOLA
       [not found] ` <1539452103.n02yzxue4l.astroid@strange.none>
From: Kim ALLAMANDOLA @ 2018-10-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello list,
I'm added my big thank you to all notmuch contributors, it's actually
the best MUA/indexer I found over years and years. Thanks to nm I put
all my feeds via mail (RSS2Email) and that's a big improvement since
I can have interested posts saved as mails, indexed, tagged etc far
more than any rss client I use in the past, elfeed and Google Reader
included. I can also index news (slrnpull) despite, unfortunately,
usenet was substantially abandoned in favor of proprietary and limiting
platforms like Reddit, StackExchange etc.

My only dream for the future is a more tight Emacs config (i.e. no more
need of personal scripts/lisp to refile and delete messages physically
on local maildir) and perhaps even a GUI for dummies notmuch-powered to
encourage non techies to backup, so own, their messages with a fantastic
modern software instead of '90-style desktop MUAs.

Thanks nm developers :-)

-- Kim

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-12 18:29       ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-10-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Vika Shleina <kisik21@fireburn.ru> writes:

> So, I'd like to thank all people who contributed to this tool, and I
> think it's the best e-mail tool there is, when combined with an
> automatic tagging system.

I can join in applauding Notmuch too. Combined with Offlineimap and
Emacs its definitely the best mail agent I have tried (maybe its not an
agent without Emacs). It took a while to set up for me, and some
detours, but since long time now I am not looking for anything else.

Thank you Notmuch developers and contributors

Best regards
--
Tomas

@ 2018-10-13 18:03   ` Kim ALLAMANDOLA
From: Kim ALLAMANDOLA @ 2018-10-13 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hy,
> There's a GUI called astroid which I've authoered. It's not completely
> plug-and-play for non-techies, but it's GUI and can (but does not by
> default) display HTML mail with images.
I know, and thanks for sharing it, but what I'm hoping is a solution
for generic users which means "a complete package" some something that
in a single apps setup a local maildir from IMAP, synchronize, support
IDLE etc. So something like classic Claws mail&c, only with full local
maildir sync and astroid-like UI.

I can't easily suggest a dummy user "hey setup mbsync, imapfilter,
a script to trigger sync on new mails via IDLE, a script to delete or
refile mails, ... after that you will enjoy a good mail system"...

That's the problem with many powerful tools we have, they are far
superior than anything else but with too limited defaults or scope
to be widespread. Normally that's not a problem but it became now
that we have more and more ignorant (in non-offensive sense) users
and no more "ontological paths" throgh universities, usenet, LUGs
etc...

Anyway it's a bit off topic... Sorry for my poor English

-- Kim

* Re: Notmuch is working too well for me
@ 2018-10-15  7:35     ` Vika Shleina
From: Vika Shleina @ 2018-10-15  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim ALLAMANDOLA, notmuch

Quoting Kim ALLAMANDOLA (2018-10-13 21:03:45)
> I can't easily suggest a dummy user "hey setup mbsync, imapfilter,
> a script to trigger sync on new mails via IDLE, a script to delete or
> refile mails, ... after that you will enjoy a good mail system"...

I actually discovered notmuch after I installed home-manager for NixOS
(it's a tool that manages your home dir with reproducible deterministic
config generation), set up my email via it and then wondered how does
this work. Skimmed the documentation and learned about notmuch.

Then I learned about mail tagging, tried it and suddenly it was fun.
I started tweaking my mail script, learned about afew and now it tags
all my mail automatically - the only tags I need to use manually are
`spam`, `unread`, `watch` (watch-tag workflow copied from this mailing
list archive), `inbox` and... that's all. Everything else gets sorted
out automatically.

Well, yeah, full disclosure - I'm a hobbyist programmer (note to self:
strike out the "hobbyist" part when I finish my education). So I guess
not everyone can follow in my footsteps. But from an email noob I got to
fully automated email sorting. It even is kinda compatible with my old
email client on my phone (because afew can move mails after auto-tagging
them).