* Notmuch Emacs reply format=JSON
@ 2017-03-10 10:27 bserrao
From: bserrao @ 2017-03-10 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I need some help in changing the default reply format to JSON in
notmuch-emacs.
I've looked in the docs and there's this option:

"Supported options for reply include

--format=(default|json|sexp|headers-only)"

But i can't figure out how to setup emacs to use this option. (Sorry, i
guess it's an easy one, but i'm new to the emacs world)

Also i've searched the forum and the web, and the only thing i've found was
some old posts with patches to notmuch itself. I guess it was meant to be
used before this option has been included.

Thanks,
Cheers

* Re: Notmuch Emacs reply format=JSON
@ 2017-03-11 17:17 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-03-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bserrao, notmuch

bserrao <bgserrao@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I need some help in changing the default reply format to JSON in
> notmuch-emacs.
> I've looked in the docs and there's this option:

I'm afraid I don't understand what behaviour you want.  Internally
notmuch-emacs uses --format=sexp to communicate with the CLI, but this
output contains the same information --format=json.

* Re: Notmuch Emacs reply format=JSON
@ 2017-03-13 10:32   ` bserrao
From: bserrao @ 2017-03-13 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Well, at work almost everyone uses Outlook (Exchange Server) and send HTML
mails. I've made a script to convert mail to html before sending, but when
replying emacs uses de '>' character has quotation and because of it the
mail gets messed up when i do the conversion.
From what i've read i've concluded that if using the format=json those HTML
pieces were handled differently...maybe i'm wrong. I was just trying to
find a solution/workaround to deal with this.

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

Bruno

@ 2017-03-13 11:28     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-03-13 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bserrao, notmuch

bserrao <bgserrao@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, at work almost everyone uses Outlook (Exchange Server) and send HTML
> mails. I've made a script to convert mail to html before sending, but when
> replying emacs uses de '>' character has quotation and because of it the
> mail gets messed up when i do the conversion.
> From what i've read i've concluded that if using the format=json those HTML
> pieces were handled differently...maybe i'm wrong. I was just trying to
> find a solution/workaround to deal with this.

I guess the first step is to test on the command line with

% notmuch reply --format=json id:foo

and

% notmuch reply --format=sexp id:foo

where id:foo is some message-id in your notmuch database.

In both cases you'll get a kind of data structure that you can process
how you like, but I think the strings inside are pretty much the same.

If you're trying to modify elisp, the actual function is
notmuch-mua-reply

I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice about sending HTML.

* Re: Notmuch Emacs reply format=JSON
@ 2017-03-13 17:00     ` Brian Sniffen
From: Brian Sniffen @ 2017-03-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bserrao, notmuch

You might like
[org-mime](http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-mime.html) or
`mimedown`:

    ; For writing pretty mail
    (defun mimedown ()
      (interactive)
      (save-excursion
        (message-goto-body)
        (mml-unsecure-message)
        (let* ((sig-point (save-excursion (message-goto-signature) (forward-line -1) (point)))
               (orig-txt (buffer-substring-no-properties (point) sig-point)))
          (shell-command-on-region (point) sig-point "/usr/local/bin/pandoc --from markdown --to html --smart --standalone" nil t)
          (insert "

\n")
          (insert orig-txt)
          (insert "

At least as seeds for your own work.  Mimedown copes smoothly with `>`
for replies, and was used for this message.  org-mime not so much---it
preserves line breaks, but leaves them as `>` prefixes, rather than
using a blockquote.

-Brian

@ 2017-03-21 16:43       ` bserrao
From: bserrao @ 2017-03-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Brian, thank you :D
The org-mime did it, sorry for the late reply but only now i had some time
to try it... I'm only facing some trouble when forwarding messages, but i'm
pretty sure i can find a solution for it.

Cheers!!