* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-14 16:22 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2020-04-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

> As of Emacs 27, Emacs will start issuing deprecation warnings for
> packages that load cl.el. I _think_ it's just a matter of replacing
> functions and macros from cl.el with cl-<foo> prefixed ones, but I
> haven't really investigated.

> If someone is looking for an easy way to contribute, this cleanup might
> be a good way to start.

Just a heads up to avoid duplicated work.

I have already done this (and then some) a while ago.  I want to have
another look before I submit it, but will try to get that done today.

(I cannot actually reply to "easy (?) elisp project for notmuch"
because I wasn't subscribed yet when that was send.)

  Cheers,
  Jonas

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-14 16:56 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-04-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli, notmuch

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> I have already done this (and then some) a while ago.  I want to have
> another look before I submit it, but will try to get that done today.
>
> (I cannot actually reply to "easy (?) elisp project for notmuch"
> because I wasn't subscribed yet when that was send.)

Sounds good. Now that you've claimed the project, no need to push
yourself to get it done today ;).

cheers

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-14 17:14 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-14 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli, notmuch

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> (I cannot actually reply to "easy (?) elisp project for notmuch"
> because I wasn't subscribed yet when that was send.)

[ in case it's useful in the future ]

I've recently set up a public-inbox archive of notmuch here:

    https://yhetil.org/notmuch/

From there, you can easily download an mbox for a message or thread from
before you subscribed (e.g. to feed to 'notmuch insert').  As an
example, here's the one for your message:

    https://yhetil.org/notmuch/875ze211gi.fsf@bernoul.li/raw

It might be possible to download a single message or thread from the
archive at <https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/>, though looking
quickly it seems like downloads may only be available for messages over
a year time span.  (Also, FWIW the entire history is available at
<https://notmuchmail.org/archives/notmuch.mbox>.)

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-15 18:42   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2020-04-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer, notmuch

Nice to run into you.

Do you contribute to *all* the killer apps? ;D

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> [ in case it's useful in the future ]
> I've recently set up a public-inbox archive of notmuch

Absolutely! In fact I already had a bookmark about that somewhere.

> From there, you can easily download an mbox for a message or thread
> from before you subscribed (e.g. to feed to 'notmuch insert').

Do you already have some tooling that you could share?

> It might be possible to download a single message or thread from the
> archive

One related use case for "notmuch insert" that I had in mind is the
import of debbugs threads.  It someone is aware of an existing solution
then please let me know.  Kyle, have you considered mirroring
emacs-devel and the Emacs debbugs as well?

  Cheers,
  Jonas

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-15 19:28     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-04-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli, Kyle Meyer, notmuch; +Cc: Sean Whitton

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> One related use case for "notmuch insert" that I had in mind is the
> import of debbugs threads.  It someone is aware of an existing solution
> then please let me know.  Kyle, have you considered mirroring
> emacs-devel and the Emacs debbugs as well?

Sean Whitton (in copy) maintains a script called notmuch-slurp-debbug
that does that. I can't remember if it is tested on the GNU instance of
debbugs.

https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-15 20:41       ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2020-04-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Jonas Bernoulli, Kyle Meyer, notmuch

Hello,

On Wed 15 Apr 2020 at 04:28PM -03, David Bremner wrote:

> Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:
>

>> One related use case for "notmuch insert" that I had in mind is the
>> import of debbugs threads.  It someone is aware of an existing solution
>> then please let me know.  Kyle, have you considered mirroring
>> emacs-devel and the Emacs debbugs as well?
>
> Sean Whitton (in copy) maintains a script called notmuch-slurp-debbug
> that does that. I can't remember if it is tested on the GNU instance of
> debbugs.
>
> https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts

Untested, but should work, and it's a bug if it doesn't.

Debian/Ubuntu/etc. you can `apt-get install mailscripts`

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-15 20:43         ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2020-04-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Jonas Bernoulli, Kyle Meyer, notmuch

Hello,

On Wed 15 Apr 2020 at 01:41PM -07, Sean Whitton wrote:

> Debian/Ubuntu/etc. you can `apt-get install mailscripts`

Oh, and `apt-get install elpa-mailscripts` to get `M-x
notmuch-slurp-this-debbug` and `M-x notmuch-slurp-debbug`.

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: easy (?) elisp project for notmuch [it's mostly DONE]
@ 2020-04-15 22:01     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-15 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: notmuch, Sean Whitton

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Nice to run into you.

You too :)

> Do you contribute to *all* the killer apps? ;D

Heh.  I think notmuch is great, but I haven't made any real
contributions.  Just a happy user and a lurker on the mailing list.

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> From there, you can easily download an mbox for a message or thread
>> from before you subscribed (e.g. to feed to 'notmuch insert').
>
> Do you already have some tooling that you could share?

Only very minimal.  I have a script that takes a public-inbox thread
mbox link, such as

  https://public-inbox.org/meta/20200406095621.5656-1-e@yhbt.net/t.mbox.gz

It uses mbox2maildir from Sean's mailscripts to convert the mbox to a
maildir and then calls 'notmuch insert' with each message.  There might
be a better approach, but it's been working fine for me.  My main use
case is that I follow some lists hosted on public-inbox.org and
lore.kernel.org via nntp; if I want to reply to something, I import a
thread into notmuch.

Note that it hard codes my folder.

#!/bin/sh

if test  $# -ne 1
then
    echo "$0 <mbox.gz URL>"
    exit 1
fi

cd "$(mktemp -d ${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/notmuch-import-XXXXXXX)"
curl -fsS $1 | gunzip -c >t.mbox
mbox2maildir t.mbox mdir
for f in $(find mdir -type f)
do
    notmuch insert --no-hooks --folder=kyleam/INBOX <$f
done

As a side note about tooling: David mentioned Sean's mailscripts in the
context of debbugs.  I haven't used that specific functionality yet, but
it has other scripts that are really nice for working with patch series.
mailscripts even gained some functionality for extracting a patch series
from an mbox that was inspired [^1] by Konstantin Ryabitsev's
get-lore-mbox.py [^2] tool for grabbing patch series from threads on
lore.kernel.org, which uses public-inbox.

All very exciting :)

[^1]: https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/87lfp38p7s.fsf@iris.silentflame.com/
[^2]: I think this tool was renamed recently, but I can't find that
      information at the moment.

> Kyle, have you considered mirroring emacs-devel and the Emacs debbugs
> as well?

I have... I dunno :/  The two higher-volume projects that I'm
considering creating public-inbox archives for are Emacs (devel and
debbugs) and Guix (patches, bugs, devel, user, ... they sure do like to
split up discussion ...).  It takes some work up front to create the
initial archives, but my main hesitation is due to uncertainty about how
my current VPS set up would fare.  So, I'm letting things settle a bit.