* Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-05 23:25 Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2012-06-05 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Good morning,

I am hoping this isn't off topic.

I have several different email addresses that notmuch handles mail for.
I am trying to understand how I can have multiple different signatures
based on the account from which I am sending the email.

One possibility looks like somehow using message-mode to do this but I
can't quite figure it out.

The other thing I would like in an ideal world is to change the bcc
address to a different address again based on the from address of the
email I am sending.

Sorry if this is trivial.

Any pointers or snippits of config would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Bart

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-05 23:49 ` Svend Sorensen
From: Svend Sorensen @ 2012-06-05 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Bunting, notmuch

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:25:17 +1000, Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> wrote:

> I have several different email addresses that notmuch handles mail for.
> I am trying to understand how I can have multiple different signatures
> based on the account from which I am sending the email.
>
> One possibility looks like somehow using message-mode to do this but I
> can't quite figure it out.
>
> The other thing I would like in an ideal world is to change the bcc
> address to a different address again based on the from address of the
> email I am sending.

I am using gnus-alias to change message settings based on my from
address.

gnus-alias sets bcc, signature, etc. based on the from address. It can
also switch identities while in message mode. I haven't had any problems
using gnus-alias with notmuch or message-mode directly. (I don't use gnus.)

I'd be happy to share my configuration.

Svend

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-06  6:16   ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-06-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svend Sorensen, Bart Bunting, notmuch

On Wed, Jun 06 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:25:17 +1000, Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> I have several different email addresses that notmuch handles mail for.
>> I am trying to understand how I can have multiple different signatures
>> based on the account from which I am sending the email.
>>
>> One possibility looks like somehow using message-mode to do this but I
>> can't quite figure it out.
>>
>> The other thing I would like in an ideal world is to change the bcc
>> address to a different address again based on the from address of the
>> email I am sending.
>
> I am using gnus-alias to change message settings based on my from
> address.
>
> gnus-alias sets bcc, signature, etc. based on the from address. It can
> also switch identities while in message mode. I haven't had any problems
> using gnus-alias with notmuch or message-mode directly. (I don't use gnus.)
>
> I'd be happy to share my configuration.

Svend,

could you write a wiki page about gnus-alias, like
emacstips/gnus-alias.mdwn.

That would be very useful.

> Svend

Tomi

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-13 18:01     ` Svend Sorensen
From: Svend Sorensen @ 2012-06-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, Bart Bunting, notmuch

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:16:16 +0300, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:

> could you write a wiki page about gnus-alias, like
> emacstips/gnus-alias.mdwn.
>
> That would be very useful.
>
> Tomi

I've added information on gnus-alias to the emacstips page on the
notmuch wiki [1].

http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/

Svend

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-13 20:41       ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-06-13 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svend Sorensen, Bart Bunting, notmuch

On Wed, Jun 13 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:16:16 +0300, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> could you write a wiki page about gnus-alias, like
>> emacstips/gnus-alias.mdwn.
>>
>> That would be very useful.
>>
>> Tomi
>
> I've added information on gnus-alias to the emacstips page on the
> notmuch wiki [1].
>
> http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/

Thanks, that was just something I needed to get started to look into it;
I also added some more content around your stuff...

> Svend

Tomi

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-14  6:25         ` Michael Hudson-Doyle
From: Michael Hudson-Doyle @ 2012-06-14  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 13 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:16:16 +0300, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> could you write a wiki page about gnus-alias, like
>>> emacstips/gnus-alias.mdwn.
>>>
>>> That would be very useful.
>>>
>>> Tomi
>>
>> I've added information on gnus-alias to the emacstips page on the
>> notmuch wiki [1].
>>
>> http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/
>
> Thanks, that was just something I needed to get started to look into it;
> I also added some more content around your stuff...

Thanks guys, this lets me work around my problems with notmuch selecting
the wrong from address!  Beer is owed, if there is ever a notmuch
conference or anything terrifying like that.

Cheers,
mwh

* Re: Any tips on emacs and different signatures per address
@ 2012-06-14  6:33         ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2012-06-14  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, Svend Sorensen, Bart Bunting, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:
> On Wed, Jun 13 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:16:16 +0300, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> could you write a wiki page about gnus-alias, like
>>> emacstips/gnus-alias.mdwn.
>>>
>>> That would be very useful.
>>>
>>> Tomi
>>
>> I've added information on gnus-alias to the emacstips page on the
>> notmuch wiki [1].
>>
>> http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/
>
> Thanks, that was just something I needed to get started to look into it;
> I also added some more content around your stuff...

I also thank for the starting point. I experience a few problems,
though. Maybe, somebody can help me with them.

1. When replying and the selected identity has a signature, the
   "--text follows this line--" line is placed in between the quoted text
   and the signature. This would probably mean that the quoted text will
   become a part of message headers, which doesn't sound as a good
   thing.

2. The identity selection overrides the from address determined by
   "notmuch reply". Since I use a lot of email addresses I find notmuch
   reply behavior very useful and I only want to override the identity
   in a few special cases.

   Leaving gnus-alias-default-identity unset doesn't help, because it
   somehow breaks message setup code. Message buffer doesn't hide
   message-hidden-headers and the quoted text (in case of reply) is
   missing.

Regards,
-Michal