* Struggling to compile notmuch on Mac OS Big Sur /ARM - gmime library detection
@ 2020-12-11 18:58 Jonathan Wilner
From: Jonathan Wilner @ 2020-12-11 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all,

I'm attempting to start clean with Notmuch on a brand new m1 MacBook
Pro. I'm struggling with getting going on multiple levels, possibly
due to the early tooling for the m1/ARM libraries.

I'm particularly stuck on calling in gmime, no matter what I do with
pkg-config. I've got gmime 3.2.7 installed from Homebrew.

However - this is the error I can't get past:

"*** Error: The dependencies of notmuch could not be satisfied. You will

need to install the following packages before being able to compile

notmuch:

GMime library >= 3.0.3

(including development files such as headers)

https://github.com/jstedfast/gmime/"

Any ideas or workarounds? I believe this is also keeping me from being
able to setup the Python bindings properly in order to use lieer
(formerly gmaileer) - as I can't get the notmuch developer sources
into the right places.

Thanks!

* Re: Struggling to compile notmuch on Mac OS Big Sur /ARM - gmime library detection
@ 2020-12-12 12:36 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-12-12 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wilner, notmuch

Jonathan Wilner <jonathan@teamwilner.com> writes:

> I'm particularly stuck on calling in gmime, no matter what I do with
> pkg-config. I've got gmime 3.2.7 installed from Homebrew.
>
> However - this is the error I can't get past:
>
> "*** Error: The dependencies of notmuch could not be satisfied. You will
> need to install the following packages before being able to compile
> notmuch:
>
> GMime library >= 3.0.3
>
> (including development files such as headers)

The underlying test is

    pkg-config --exists "gmime-3.0 >= 3.0.3"

That should print nothing and (most importantly) have exit code 0
(echo $?)

I don't really know much about macOS or homebrew, but this should not be
a notmuch specific issue.

* Re: Struggling to compile notmuch on Mac OS Big Sur /ARM - gmime library detection
@ 2020-12-13  2:54   ` Jonathan Wilner
From: Jonathan Wilner @ 2020-12-13  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

Thanks, David. It prints nothing.

FYI, I did get this working using the X86 emulation in a different/parallel setup.

Best,

Jonathan

@ 2020-12-13 12:52     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-12-13 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wilner, notmuch

Jonathan Wilner <jonathan@teamwilner.com> writes:

> Thanks, David. It prints nothing.

What is the exit code? It prints nothing both for both success and failure.