* wildcards with path or folder
@ 2016-12-18 22:57 Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2016-12-18 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

hi,

How can I select all mails which are in a certain mail folder or
subfolders of it ?

thx
--
erik colson

* Re: wildcards with path or folder
@ 2016-12-18 23:19 ` Steven Allen
From: Steven Allen @ 2016-12-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson, notmuch

Erik,

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:
> hi,
>
> How can I select all mails which are in a certain mail folder or
> subfolders of it ?

You're probably looking for `path:path/to/folder/**` (e.g. `path:Archive/**`).

Documentation:

* man 7 notmuch-search-terms
* https://notmuchmail.org/manpages/notmuch-search-terms-7/

- Steven

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: wildcards with path or folder
@ 2016-12-19  1:58   ` Brian Sniffen
From: Brian Sniffen @ 2016-12-19  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Allen; +Cc: Erik Colson, notmuch

One reason many people look for such is as part of a pipeline with --output=files and unlink. It is crucial to know that notmuch will tell you about every file name of every message that has any copy in those folders. You have to grep or otherwise restrict the list of paths to the folder you want, or lose data.

-Brian
I know I can restore my Maildir from backups. Guess how?

--
Brian Sniffen

@ 2016-12-19  7:38   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2016-12-19  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Allen; +Cc: notmuch

Steven Allen <steven@stebalien.com> writes:

> You're probably looking for `path:path/to/folder/**` (e.g. `path:Archive/**`).
>
> Documentation:
>
> * man 7 notmuch-search-terms
> * https://notmuchmail.org/manpages/notmuch-search-terms-7/

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your answer.  I tried the usage of path with wildcards,
but it does only recursively report messages in a real directory tree.

I'm using dovecot maildir.  So the folder hierarchy is _not_ saved as
phisical directory tree but as multiple directories inside the root
maildir directory.

So for this folder hierarchy:
- MAIN1
   - SUB1
   - SUB2
- MAIN2

I have following directories inside maildir:
.MAIN1
.MAIN1.SUB1
.MAIN1.SUB2
.MAIN2

The path:.MAIN1/** will not go down inside subfolders SUB1 and SUB2.

Is there any way to achieve this ?

thx!
--
erik colson