* Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-07-14  5:01 ccx
From: ccx @ 2012-07-14  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello, for quite some time my set of scripts just lied in my repo and
waited for polish before release. So tonight I finally managed to update
the docs, remove old stuff, rewrite some unfortunate things etc.

One notable addition is slrn2maildir script which can convert NNTP
spool, eg. gmane mailing lists or blogs, as fetched by slrnpull to
maildir format. This way you can follow plethora of mailing lists
without subscribing, any blog that publishes full atom/rss feed or
usenet newsgroup.

For details see the readme:
  http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/loggerhead/zmuch/view/head:/README
or check out the code:
  bzr branch http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/bzr/zmuch

I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-07-15 16:36 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2012-07-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccx, notmuch

ccx@webprojekty.cz writes:

> I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.

Dear Jan;

Without looking too much at the details I think this is reasonable to
include in contrib, as a set of examples if nothing else. Still, I'm
curious about a few things. Are there actual users (other than the
author)?  What would we do about bug reports? Will you follow the list,
or would we explicitely tell people to contact you directly?

I guess some of the python experts might want to discuss the coding
style of notmuch-new.py. pylint goes ballistic, for whatever that is
worth.

For the shell stuff, I noticed lots of unquoted parameter expansion;
also at some point you make a temporary directory using $$
directly rather than using e.g. mktemp.

What did you have in mind for a license? since there is no linking here,
it does not have to be GPL3+, but some standard Free license is needed I
think; since I'm also maintaining the Debian package, I don't want to
have to remove your stuff before uploading to Debian.

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-07-15 22:29   ` Daniel Schoepe
From: Daniel Schoepe @ 2012-07-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, ccx, notmuch

On Sun, 15.07.2012 18:36, David Bremner wrote:
> Are there actual users (other than the author)?

I started using the slrn2maildir script yesterday, but none of the other
scripts. It's working fine so far.

Cheers,
Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-07-17 10:18   ` ccx
From: ccx @ 2012-07-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:36:54AM -0600, David Bremner wrote:
> ccx@webprojekty.cz writes:
>
> > I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.
>
> Dear Jan;
>
> Without looking too much at the details I think this is reasonable to
> include in contrib, as a set of examples if nothing else. Still, I'm
> curious about a few things. Are there actual users (other than the
> author)?  What would we do about bug reports? Will you follow the list,
> or would we explicitely tell people to contact you directly?

I might not always have time to read the entirety of the ML, so it would
be great if people CC me when posting there.

> I guess some of the python experts might want to discuss the coding
> style of notmuch-new.py. pylint goes ballistic, for whatever that is
> worth.

That's mainly because of tabs used for indentation, which used to be
considered a viable alternative, but is now considered obsolete. I
reformatted the code to conform to pep8 guidelines.

> For the shell stuff, I noticed lots of unquoted parameter expansion;
> also at some point you make a temporary directory using $$
> directly rather than using e.g. mktemp.

Zsh does not word-split parameter expansion by default, this is
intentional. The temporary directories are created in xdg cache dir,
which should not be susceptible to symlink attacks etc. and the pid
actually helps to correlate the directories to processes, eg. when you
want to autoclean after searches that got killed for some reason.

> What did you have in mind for a license? since there is no linking here,
> it does not have to be GPL3+, but some standard Free license is needed I
> think; since I'm also maintaining the Debian package, I don't want to
> have to remove your stuff before uploading to Debian.

You can consider it public domain. I guess I should add wtfpl text to my
repo. :-)

Thanks very much for your rewiev.

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-07-19 14:41     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2012-07-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccx, notmuch

ccx@webprojekty.cz writes:

> I might not always have time to read the entirety of the ML, so it would
> be great if people CC me when posting there.

OK, please add some kind of README file explaining the best way to
report bugs.

> You can consider it public domain. I guess I should add wtfpl text to my
> repo. :-)

Please do. or CC0 if you prefer less swearing ;).

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-10-19  3:33 ` Ethan Glasser-Camp
From: Ethan Glasser-Camp @ 2012-10-19  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccx, notmuch

ccx@webprojekty.cz writes:

> Hello, for quite some time my set of scripts just lied in my repo and
> waited for polish before release. So tonight I finally managed to update
> the docs, remove old stuff, rewrite some unfortunate things etc.
>
> One notable addition is slrn2maildir script which can convert NNTP
> spool, eg. gmane mailing lists or blogs, as fetched by slrnpull to
> maildir format. This way you can follow plethora of mailing lists
> without subscribing, any blog that publishes full atom/rss feed or
> usenet newsgroup.
>
> For details see the readme:
>   http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/loggerhead/zmuch/view/head:/README
> or check out the code:
>   bzr branch http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/bzr/zmuch
>
> I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.

Hi! Sorry about the delay, but I'm going through the patch queue now and
it seems like this branch is just completely gone. I get 502 Bad Gateway
errors when I follow the first link. Did it move or is there a problem
with your site?

Ethan

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-11-02  0:01   ` Jan Pobrislo
From: Jan Pobrislo @ 2012-11-02  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Glasser-Camp, notmuch

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 23:33:22 -0400, Ethan Glasser-Camp <ethan.glasser.camp@gmail.com> wrote:
> ccx@webprojekty.cz writes:
>
> > Hello, for quite some time my set of scripts just lied in my repo and
> > waited for polish before release. So tonight I finally managed to update
> > the docs, remove old stuff, rewrite some unfortunate things etc.
> >
> > One notable addition is slrn2maildir script which can convert NNTP
> > spool, eg. gmane mailing lists or blogs, as fetched by slrnpull to
> > maildir format. This way you can follow plethora of mailing lists
> > without subscribing, any blog that publishes full atom/rss feed or
> > usenet newsgroup.
> >
> > For details see the readme:
> >   http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/loggerhead/zmuch/view/head:/README
> > or check out the code:
> >   bzr branch http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/bzr/zmuch
> >
> > I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.
>
> Hi! Sorry about the delay, but I'm going through the patch queue now and
> it seems like this branch is just completely gone. I get 502 Bad Gateway
> errors when I follow the first link. Did it move or is there a problem
> with your site?
>
> Ethan

Hi! I was having some hardware issues and had to migrate the site. It should
be all up again and ready for inclusion.

Added stuff from last time:
* source function & actions for zaw (https://github.com/zsh-users/zaw)
* LICENSE (CC0)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-11-18 23:35     ` Ethan Glasser-Camp
From: Ethan Glasser-Camp @ 2012-11-18 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Pobrislo, Ethan Glasser-Camp, notmuch

Jan Pobrislo <ccx@webprojekty.cz> writes:

> Hi! I was having some hardware issues and had to migrate the site. It should
> be all up again and ready for inclusion.
>
> Added stuff from last time:
> * source function & actions for zaw (https://github.com/zsh-users/zaw)
> * LICENSE (CC0)

Hi! Sorry for the delay, real life got in the way.

In previous emails, David Bremner said he'd like someone with Python
expertise to look at notmuch-new.py. He notes that pylint goes
ballistic, but most of these errors don't bother me much (complaints
about variable naming and missing docstrings).

As for the rest, I'm not a zsh expert, but I looked at zmuch and
notmuch-colorize and they looked fine.

If Bremner is willing to put this package in contrib, I think he should
do so.

Ethan

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-11-25 23:36       ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2012-11-25 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Glasser-Camp, Jan Pobrislo, notmuch

Ethan Glasser-Camp <ethan.glasser.camp@gmail.com> writes:

> If Bremner is willing to put this package in contrib, I think he should
> do so.

I guess that's fine, but I'd be more likely to get around to it if
presented with a patch against git master

* Re: Notmuch scripts (again), now with more usenet
@ 2012-12-09 19:12 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2012-12-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccx, notmuch

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, ccx@webprojekty.cz wrote:
> Hello, for quite some time my set of scripts just lied in my repo and
> waited for polish before release. So tonight I finally managed to update
> the docs, remove old stuff, rewrite some unfortunate things etc.
>
> One notable addition is slrn2maildir script which can convert NNTP
> spool, eg. gmane mailing lists or blogs, as fetched by slrnpull to
> maildir format. This way you can follow plethora of mailing lists
> without subscribing, any blog that publishes full atom/rss feed or
> usenet newsgroup.
>
> For details see the readme:
>   http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/loggerhead/zmuch/view/head:/README
> or check out the code:
>   bzr branch http://webprojekty.cz/ccx/bzr/zmuch
>
> I hope it's now in the form acceptable for inclusion to contrib.

Hi, lacking a more appropriate tag, I have tagged this message
notmuch::stale in nmbug, the notmuch bug and patch tracking system. See
[1] and [2] for details.

If you're still interested in getting your scripts included in contrib,
please provide them in patch form. See [3] for patch submission
guidelines.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/