* notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?
@ 2017-09-04 13:15 William Casarin
From: William Casarin @ 2017-09-04 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch, notmuch

Hey there,

Is there a way to sort by subject or author in emacs/notmuch-search? I
find myself wanting to do this a lot. My particular use case is rss
feeds, where I have many different feeds in my rss tag that I would like
to group together.

If not, I am interested in adding this feature.

Thanks,
William

* Re: notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?
@ 2017-09-04 13:54 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-09-04 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Casarin, notmuch, notmuch

William Casarin <jb55@jb55.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> Is there a way to sort by subject or author in emacs/notmuch-search? I
> find myself wanting to do this a lot. My particular use case is rss
> feeds, where I have many different feeds in my rss tag that I would like
> to group together.
>
> If not, I am interested in adding this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> William

I think it's not really possible at the moment. If you want this to work
with large searches then it probably needs to be done at the CLI level
(see [1] for work in progress adding sorting by file size).

Luckily 'From' and 'Subject' are already value slots in the database,
which means that nothing should have to change in the database to add
those sort orders (i.e. it should be less work than [1]).

[1] id:20170518222708.30032-1-adi@adirat.com

* Re: notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?
@ 2017-09-04 15:30   ` William Casarin
From: William Casarin @ 2017-09-04 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> I think it's not really possible at the moment. If you want this to work
> with large searches then it probably needs to be done at the CLI level
> (see [1] for work in progress adding sorting by file size).
>
> Luckily 'From' and 'Subject' are already value slots in the database,
> which means that nothing should have to change in the database to add
> those sort orders (i.e. it should be less work than [1]).
>
> [1] id:20170518222708.30032-1-adi@adirat.com

I have a patch that is working, I'll send it over soon. Thanks!

- William

--
https://jb55.com