* inconsistent handling of stderr in notmuch-emacs
@ 2019-03-16  2:09 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2019-03-16  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Rob noticed that generating extra output on stderr from the notmuch cli
breaks some things in notmuch-emacs (in his case this was from a wrapper
script).

notmuch-search seems fairly robust at this point, but at least
notmuch-hello and notmuch-mua-mail get confused by the extra
output. I guess this is because of code calling #'call-process without
specifying something to do with stderr.

I don't know how often this is problem, but I guess it would be nice to
eventually only call notmuch using make-process (for recent enough
emacs). This allows cleaner handling of stderr.

* Re: inconsistent handling of stderr in notmuch-emacs
@ 2019-03-20 20:17 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2019-03-20 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

On Fri, Mar 15 2019, David Bremner wrote:

> Rob noticed that generating extra output on stderr from the notmuch cli
> breaks some things in notmuch-emacs (in his case this was from a wrapper
> script).
>
> notmuch-search seems fairly robust at this point, but at least
> notmuch-hello and notmuch-mua-mail get confused by the extra
> output. I guess this is because of code calling #'call-process without
> specifying something to do with stderr.
>
> I don't know how often this is problem, but I guess it would be nice to
> eventually only call notmuch using make-process (for recent enough
> emacs). This allows cleaner handling of stderr.

for Older emacses the following code snippet could be utilized
(originally a13b38824 (Austin Clements 2013-05-31)):

    (proc (apply #'start-process name buffer
                 "/bin/sh" "-c"
                 "exec 2>\"$1\"; shift; exec \"$0\" \"$@\""
                 command err-file args))

But if we dropped support for emacs 24 (NEWS.25 mentioned make-process)
then we could use make-process everywhere :D

Tomi

* Re: inconsistent handling of stderr in notmuch-emacs
@ 2019-03-28 11:26   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2019-03-28 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

> for Older emacses the following code snippet could be utilized
> (originally a13b38824 (Austin Clements 2013-05-31)):
>
>     (proc (apply #'start-process name buffer
>                  "/bin/sh" "-c"
>                  "exec 2>\"$1\"; shift; exec \"$0\" \"$@\""
>                  command err-file args))
>
> But if we dropped support for emacs 24 (NEWS.25 mentioned make-process)
> then we could use make-process everywhere :D

I'm OK with deprecating support for emacs24 in the next release, and
considering that the medium term plan for dealing with this issue.