* Building 0.20.2: /Users/haven hard-coded path in Makefile
@ 2015-07-12 21:35 Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2015-07-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

It appears 0.20.2 has a hard-coded path in a ruby Makefile? Granted,
this is built on Mac OS X.  See the end of this gist:
https://gist.github.com/johnnyutahh/d6f6844ff36a05b01ac7

I see some build problems here, but at first glance they seem different:
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2015/020720.html

Are builds for tagged versions in the master branch supposed to
generally be "solid", including for OS X? Or should I not expect such
things.

~Johnny

* Re: Building 0.20.2: /Users/haven hard-coded path in Makefile
@ 2015-07-13  4:48 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2015-07-13  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny Utahh, notmuch

Johnny Utahh <notmuchmail.org@johnnyutahh.com> writes:

> Are builds for tagged versions in the master branch supposed to
> generally be "solid", including for OS X? Or should I not expect such
> things.

There are no tagged versions in the master branch. Version 20.2 was
merged back in to master, but master also also contains other changes,
including the one which enables building the ruby extension by default.

* Re: Building 0.20.2: /Users/haven hard-coded path in Makefile
@ 2015-07-13  6:00 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2015-07-13  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny Utahh, notmuch

Johnny Utahh <notmuchmail.org@johnnyutahh.com> writes:

> It appears 0.20.2 has a hard-coded path in a ruby Makefile? Granted,
> this is built on Mac OS X.  See the end of this gist:
> https://gist.github.com/johnnyutahh/d6f6844ff36a05b01ac7
>
> I see some build problems here, but at first glance they seem different:
> http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2015/020720.html

About your actual question, I guess the ruby install on your machine is
broken in some way. That Makefile is generated by "ruby extconf.rb
--vendor", and any hardcoded paths are added by extconf.rb, I think. Is
it an actual build failure or just a warning?

* Re: Building 0.20.2: /Users/haven hard-coded path in Makefile
@ 2015-07-13 18:27   ` Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2015-07-13 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Once I actually checked out the the proper tag ('git checkout
tags/0.20.2', which I failed to do previously, my bad; thanks David for
politely pointing that out), the build and install went fine. Main
problem solved, thanks.

To answer David's question below: prior to the above, corrective action,
the message says "warning" but the build appears to stop. So I guess I'm
not sure if it indeed was a build failure or just a warning. Alas, it
may not matter, as my main problem is now solved. In any case, details
here: https://gist.github.com/johnnyutahh/d6f6844ff36a05b01ac7