* notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2012-07-10 19:48 Daniel Bergey
From: Daniel Bergey @ 2012-07-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

As far as I can tell, notmuch doesn't integrate as smoothly with bbdb as older
emacs mailclients.  I'm especially looking for a snarf function that
distinguishes sender from recipient.

How do other people use bbdb with notmuch?

Does anyone have lisp code like that which ships with bbdb for other
clients?

If I were to find time to write such code, what would you like it to do?

cheers,
bergey

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2012-07-12  6:43 ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-07-12  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bergey, notmuch

On Tue, Jul 10 2012, Daniel Bergey <bergey@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, notmuch doesn't integrate as smoothly with bbdb as older
> emacs mailclients.  I'm especially looking for a snarf function that
> distinguishes sender from recipient.
>
> How do other people use bbdb with notmuch?
>
> Does anyone have lisp code like that which ships with bbdb for other
> clients?
>
> If I were to find time to write such code, what would you like it to do?

Hey, Bergey.  This is something that I think needs improvement as well.
I've been just manually constructing the bbdb entries myself.

But what I've really been meaning to get going is address
auto-completion from the database, which I'm pretty sure could obviate
my need for bbdb altogether:

http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index13h2

Getting it working seems more difficult than it should be, though, and
the existing solutions seem a bit slower than they need to be [0].  So I
think there's also room for improvement here.

For instance, I think it would be rad if notmuch provided this
functionality natively, in the CLI, or even in the library [1].  I think
it's definitely doable, and it would be a nice little project.

The emacs integration could be a bit smoother as well.  A single config
option should either turn the functionality on or off.  That would be
very convenient [2].

jamie.

[0] id:"87r4xur3rv.fsf@plc.plecavalier.com"
[1] For what it's worth, I would prefer a solution that didn't involve
    any caching of addresses outside of the database.
[2] I also find it changes the behavior of the ido tab completion
    interface that I'm used to using in message mode.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2012-07-12 13:47   ` Daniel Bergey
From: Daniel Bergey @ 2012-07-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, notmuch

I hacked together the attached elisp yesterday.  It provides bindings to
put sender or recipients into bbdb.  (Recipients part needs more
testing.)  It also colors the from line green if the sender is in bbdb,
or orange otherwise.  When it's been through a bit more testing, I'll
submit at least the first part as a patch.

I prefer not to autocapture everything into bbdb, and for the same
reason, I don't want to use notmuch itself as my contacts DB.  Mostly,
this is because I read lots of email on lists, sent by people I'm
unlikely to write back to.  I don't like every John I've heard from
coming up on autocomplete.  Other reasons include sync to phone and
adding contact information from channels other than email.

bergey

[-- Attachment #2: bbdb-notmuch.el --]

@ 2012-07-12 16:11     ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-07-12 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bergey, notmuch

On Thu, Jul 12 2012, Daniel Bergey <bergey@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I hacked together the attached elisp yesterday.  It provides bindings to
> put sender or recipients into bbdb.  (Recipients part needs more
> testing.)  It also colors the from line green if the sender is in bbdb,
> or orange otherwise.  When it's been through a bit more testing, I'll
> submit at least the first part as a patch.

Hey, Daniel.  This is really nice!  All I had to do was load it in my
emacs config after loading notmuch:

(require 'notmuch)
(load-file "~/.notmuch/bbdb-notmuch.el")

It works very well: snarfs contacts like a charm, and, I must say, the
coloring of names depending on their status in bbdb is really hot!  Nice
feature!

Thanks so much for this contribution.  I would be thrilled if this made
it into upstream, maybe with a config to let people turn the sender
highlighting on or off.  Maybe in the mean time we can put it in
contrib?

jamie.

@ 2012-07-22  0:00     ` Daniel Reusche
From: Daniel Reusche @ 2012-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bergey, notmuch

On 12.07.2012 15:47, Daniel Bergey wrote:
> I hacked together the attached elisp yesterday.  It provides bindings to
> put sender or recipients into bbdb.

Awesome, thats just what I was looking for.

Also on topic: I was working on a script (more a really long regex), to
import all the mail addresses from the notmuch db to bbdb, but as I just
started learning emacs lisp, it does not really work yet.

The point you brought up there, with probably not wanting everyone in
the database could be an issue though.
Maybe some hook, that adds all the contacts to the bbdb that you replied
to by hand?

best,
dan

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2012-07-22  0:24       ` Daniel Bergey
From: Daniel Bergey @ 2012-07-22  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Reusche, notmuch

Glad to hear I have another user!

My function bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to doesn't work yet on more than one
recipient.  Once I get that working, I'd like to do what you suggest,
and have some hook call  bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to every time I send an
email.

Probably not before late August, though.

bergey

Daniel Reusche <danielr@physik.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> On 12.07.2012 15:47, Daniel Bergey wrote:
>> I hacked together the attached elisp yesterday.  It provides bindings to
>> put sender or recipients into bbdb.
>
> Awesome, thats just what I was looking for.
>
> Also on topic: I was working on a script (more a really long regex), to
> import all the mail addresses from the notmuch db to bbdb, but as I just
> started learning emacs lisp, it does not really work yet.
>
> The point you brought up there, with probably not wanting everyone in
> the database could be an issue though.
> Maybe some hook, that adds all the contacts to the bbdb that you replied
> to by hand?
>
> best,
> dan

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2012-07-24 15:23         ` Daniel Reusche
From: Daniel Reusche @ 2012-07-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bergey; +Cc: notmuch

On 22.07.2012 02:24, Daniel Bergey wrote:
> Glad to hear I have another user!
Your welcome, nice snippet!

> My function bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to doesn't work yet on more than one
> recipient.
>
> Probably not before late August, though.

Well, if I find some time, I will at least try it too.

best,
dan

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2014-05-23 23:25         ` Wael Nasreddine
From: Wael Nasreddine @ 2014-05-23 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch List

On 22.07.2012 02:24, Daniel Bergey wrote:
>Glad to hear I have another user!
>
>My function bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to doesn't work yet on more than one
>recipient.  Once I get that working, I'd like to do what you suggest,
>and have some hook call  bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to every time I send an
>email.
>
>Probably not before late August, though.

Hi David,

Did you get a change to finish the notmuch/bbdb integration that you
were working on?

>bergey

Wael

Wael Nasreddine | SRE at Google | wael.nasreddine@gmail.com | (650) 735-1773

[-- Attachment #2.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 180 bytes --]

* Re: notmuch-emacs and bbdb
@ 2014-05-26 15:29           ` Daniel Bergey
From: Daniel Bergey @ 2014-05-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wael Nasreddine, Notmuch List

On 2014-05-23 at 23:25, Wael Nasreddine <wael.nasreddine@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22.07.2012 02:24, Daniel Bergey wrote:
>>Glad to hear I have another user!
>>
>>My function bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to doesn't work yet on more than one
>>recipient.  Once I get that working, I'd like to do what you suggest,
>>and have some hook call  bbdb/notmuch-snarf-to every time I send an
>>email.
>>
>>Probably not before late August, though.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Did you get a change to finish the notmuch/bbdb integration that you
> were working on?

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress on the notmuch/bbdb
integration.  In fact, since notmuch has been moving along a fair bit,
my code has stopped working.  I still think it would be great if someone
added this feature.

Daniel