* Feature request: Limit output of notmuch show
@ 2019-03-21 12:56 Jörg Volbers
From: Jörg Volbers @ 2019-03-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello everyone,

I would like to limit the output of notmuch show to a certain
amount of mails, similar to the option `--limit' in notmuch
search. But actually, I think the most elegant way would be to
allow a limiting operator as a query term.

Is it a difficulty to implement that? Would anyone do that? I am
not able to write anything in C, so I'm out of it.

Jörg Volbers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Feature request: Limit output of notmuch show
@ 2019-03-22 15:41 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2019-03-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jörg Volbers, notmuch; +Cc: Olly Betts

joerg@joergvolbers.de (Jörg Volbers) writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to limit the output of notmuch show to a certain
> amount of mails, similar to the option `--limit' in notmuch
> search. But actually, I think the most elegant way would be to
> allow a limiting operator as a query term.
>
> Is it a difficulty to implement that? Would anyone do that? I am
> not able to write anything in C, so I'm out of it.

I don't have any good ideas how to impliment that in a Xapian query. Maybe Olly
does. One thing that works for some people is to use date ranges. Of
course that requires a bit of trial and error.

* Re: Feature request: Limit output of notmuch show
@ 2019-03-25 20:42   ` Olly Betts
From: Olly Betts @ 2019-03-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: Jörg Volbers, notmuch

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:41:12PM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> joerg@joergvolbers.de (Jörg Volbers) writes:
> > Is it a difficulty to implement that? Would anyone do that? I am
> > not able to write anything in C, so I'm out of it.
>
> I don't have any good ideas how to impliment that in a Xapian query. Maybe Olly
> does.

It's not possible as part of the Query object, but the second parameter
to get_mset() specifies the limit you seem to want.

No need to write anything in C - you can use C++!

Cheers,
    Olly