* Negating searches in notmuch running via emacs?
@ 2015-01-05 21:46 David Creelman
From: David Creelman @ 2015-01-05 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Carl (et al),
Thanks for notmuch. It's making my email setup a bit more efficient. I used to be a filter to differnt
mbox kind of person, but I'm a changed man now !!

Just wondered, is it possible to negate a search in notmuch for emacs?

I have a bunch of stuff that is in my inbox that I don't want to see and have tried doing things like

	-googlealerts-noreply
	-from:googlealerts-noreply

But it looks like the '-' is ignored....

Is there a way of getting filtering? It looks like it's possible from the command line application (with -
and + on search terms).

Regards,
David

* Re: Negating searches in notmuch running via emacs?
@ 2015-01-07  2:48 ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2015-01-07  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Creelman; +Cc: notmuch

Hi David.

In general, "-" will negate a query term.  However, Xapian's query
syntax (to which notmuch is beholden) ignores "-" at the beginning of
a query (and immediately after an open paren).  Hence, if you want to
negate the first term in a query, you'll have to use "not" instead.

Hope that helps.

Quoth David Creelman on Jan 06 at  8:46 am: