* [alot] announcing v0.3.5
@ 2013-07-18  9:21 Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2013-07-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi everyone!

I have just tagged alot v0.3.5; You can get a tarball here [0].

Most notably, this update comes with a rewrite of Thread buffers,
allowing among other things thread-tree based focus movements.
Alot now has full support for PGP/MIME encryption and signatures,
courtesy of Justus (teythoon). Apart from this, the new release comes with the
usual ton of fixes contributed by various people (see below).

I enabled the project wiki on github, so that people too shy to come forward
with pull requests for alot/extra/ can share their customizations,
in particular python-hooks [2].

Usage updates since v0.3.4:
* full support for PGP/MIME [de|en]cryption and signatures
* add missing "unattach" command in envelope buffer
* honour 'Mail-Followup-To' header and set if for selected mailinglists
* better handling of replies to self-sent messages
* make auto_remove_unread configurable
* rewrite thread buffer
* improved global move commands: first/last line, half-page up/down
* tree-based movement in threads (first/last reply, next/previous unfolded/sibling, parent)
* fold/unfold messages based on query string in thread mode
* respect mailcap commands that expect stdin
* Support different libmagic APIs
* new hooks called before/aftr buffer open/close/focus
* new global repeat command

Thanks goes to those who contributed:
$ git shortlog -s -n 0.3.2...|tail -n +2
    11  Justus Winter
    10  Sebastian Jeltsch
     6  josch
     4  Hamish Downer
     4  Yann Rouillard
     3  Lukas Zapletal
     2  Christopher Schwardt
     1  Benjamin
     1  Caio Prado
     1  Siim Põder
     1  bjoernb
     1  jakeogh

.. and everyone who send feedback!

As always, don't hesitate to file bug reports, feature or pull requests via the
projects github page [1].

Cheers,
/p

[0]: https://github.com/pazz/alot/tarball/0.3.5
[1]: https://github.com/pazz/alot
[2]: https://github.com/pazz/alot/wiki/Contrib-Hooks

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: [alot] announcing v0.3.5
@ 2013-07-19 13:48 ` Ruben Pollan
From: Ruben Pollan @ 2013-07-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke, notmuch

Hello pazz,

Quoting Patrick Totzke (2013-07-18 11:21:24)
> Most notably, this update comes with a rewrite of Thread buffers,
> allowing among other things thread-tree based focus movements.
> Alot now has full support for PGP/MIME encryption and signatures,
> courtesy of Justus (teythoon). Apart from this, the new release comes with the
> usual ton of fixes contributed by various people (see below).
[...]
> Usage updates since v0.3.4:
> * full support for PGP/MIME [de|en]cryption and signatures

I see here that alot now is able to decrypt emails? How can I do it? I have a
gpg-agent running and I can sign and encrypt emails when I send them, but I
can't read any of the encrypted emails. Is there a key binding for it? (I didn't
found it on the manual).

Thank you for keep alot alive. I've been using it as my primary email client
since a couple of years and I'm pretty happy with it.

--
Rubén Pollán  | http://meskio.net/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: [alot] announcing v0.3.5
@ 2013-07-19 14:02   ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2013-07-19 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Pollan, notmuch

Hi Rubén,

thanks for mentioning this. I must have accidentally dropped the corresponding paragraph
in the docs (http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/testing/usage/index.html#cryptography).
I'm almost certain I saw this documented a while back..

Basically, you need a running gpg-agent. Then, decryption of mails should happen
automatically once you open a thread. The same holds for signature verification
(the status of which will be mentioned in a pseudo-header).
This holds for mails that comply PGP/MIME only. "ASCII-armored" text in plaintext parts
is not dealt with.

If this does not work, you've found a bug that you should kindly report :)

HTH,
/p

* Re: [alot] announcing v0.3.5
@ 2013-07-19 15:01     ` Ruben Pollan
From: Ruben Pollan @ 2013-07-19 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke, notmuch

Quoting Patrick Totzke (2013-07-19 16:02:34)
> Hi Rubén,
>
> thanks for mentioning this. I must have accidentally dropped the corresponding paragraph
> in the docs (http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/testing/usage/index.html#cryptography).
> I'm almost certain I saw this documented a while back..
>
> Basically, you need a running gpg-agent. Then, decryption of mails should happen
> automatically once you open a thread. The same holds for signature verification
> (the status of which will be mentioned in a pseudo-header).
> This holds for mails that comply PGP/MIME only. "ASCII-armored" text in plaintext parts
> is not dealt with.
>
> If this does not work, you've found a bug that you should kindly report :)

Sadly that is not what I see. I'm trying to read an email that mutt reports as
PGP/MIME but the content appear blank. I guess I have gpg-agent properly
working, because when I send a signed email I get a 'window' asking me for my
passphrase and it signs it. But it don't asks for the password when I try to
read an encrypted email.

Do I need any special configuration on gpg-agent for it?

--

@ 2013-07-19 15:14       ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2013-07-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Pollan, notmuch

Quoting Ruben Pollan (2013-07-19 16:01:06)
> Quoting Patrick Totzke (2013-07-19 16:02:34)
> > Hi Rubén,
> >
> > thanks for mentioning this. I must have accidentally dropped the corresponding paragraph
> > in the docs (http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/testing/usage/index.html#cryptography).
> > I'm almost certain I saw this documented a while back..
> >
> > Basically, you need a running gpg-agent. Then, decryption of mails should happen
> > automatically once you open a thread. The same holds for signature verification
> > (the status of which will be mentioned in a pseudo-header).
> > This holds for mails that comply PGP/MIME only. "ASCII-armored" text in plaintext parts
> > is not dealt with.
> >
> > If this does not work, you've found a bug that you should kindly report :)
>
> Sadly that is not what I see. I'm trying to read an email that mutt reports as
> PGP/MIME but the content appear blank.

Is is possible that this mail's body is ctype 'text/html' and you haven't set up
your mailcap for html (as in FAQ #5 or issue #622)?

> I guess I have gpg-agent properly
> working, because when I send a signed email I get a 'window' asking me for my
> passphrase and it signs it. But it don't asks for the password when I try to
> read an encrypted email.

Yes, it seems you have set up gpg-agent correctly then.

> Do I need any special configuration on gpg-agent for it?

Not that I know of.

BTW: why did you not notice this earlier in the 'testing' branch? :P

I cannot think of anything else atm, sorry. Maybe Justus has an Idea?
Could you open an issue about this with some more details about the mail and your setup?
thx,
/p

* Re: [alot] announcing v0.3.5
@ 2013-07-19 15:24         ` Ruben Pollan
From: Ruben Pollan @ 2013-07-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke, notmuch

Quoting Patrick Totzke (2013-07-19 17:14:07)
> > Sadly that is not what I see. I'm trying to read an email that mutt reports
> > as PGP/MIME but the content appear blank.
>
> Is is possible that this mail's body is ctype 'text/html' and you haven't set up
> your mailcap for html (as in FAQ #5 or issue #622)?
>
> > I guess I have gpg-agent properly
> > working, because when I send a signed email I get a 'window' asking me for my
> > passphrase and it signs it. But it don't asks for the password when I try to
> > read an encrypted email.
>
> Yes, it seems you have set up gpg-agent correctly then.
> >
> > Do I need any special configuration on gpg-agent for it?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> BTW: why did you not notice this earlier in the 'testing' branch? :P
>
> I cannot think of anything else atm, sorry. Maybe Justus has an Idea?
> Could you open an issue about this with some more details about the mail and your setup?

I just found the problem. I was still having the debian package installed and
alot was using it's old alot-egg from debian :( Now that I uninstall the package
is working fine.

Sorry.

--

@ 2013-07-19 15:30           ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2013-07-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Pollan, notmuch

Quoting Ruben Pollan (2013-07-19 16:24:40)
> I just found the problem. I was still having the debian package installed and
> alot was using it's old alot-egg from debian :( Now that I uninstall the package
> is working fine.
>
> Sorry.

No worries! another problem that solved itself :)
cheers,
/p