* [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-12  5:22 Peter Wang
From: Peter Wang @ 2012-08-12  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

Bower is yet another curses frontend for the Notmuch email system.
I wrote it for me, but you might like it, too.

	https://github.com/wangp/bower

Bower 0.4 (2012-08-12)
======================
This release requires notmuch 0.13 for addressbook completion.

* Asynchronous tagging and polling in index view.
* Highlight diff lines in quoted text.
* Context-aware completion for tag names.
* Completion for addressbook aliases.
* post_sendmail configuration option.
* Support Up/Down/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys in more views.
* Better resize handling.
* Improved URL detection.
* Don't expand HTML alternative parts unnecessarily.

Peter

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-12 12:40 ` David Froger
From: David Froger @ 2012-08-12 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:22:58 +1000, Peter Wang <novalazy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bower is yet another curses frontend for the Notmuch email system.
> I wrote it for me, but you might like it, too.
>
> 	https://github.com/wangp/bower
>
> Bower 0.4 (2012-08-12)
> ======================
> This release requires notmuch 0.13 for addressbook completion.
>
> * Asynchronous tagging and polling in index view.
> * Highlight diff lines in quoted text.
> * Context-aware completion for tag names.
> * Completion for addressbook aliases.
> * post_sendmail configuration option.
> * Support Up/Down/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End keys in more views.
> * Better resize handling.
> * Improved URL detection.
> * Don't expand HTML alternative parts unnecessarily.

Hi,

Thanks Peter, nice to see this new release and these new functionnalies!

I'm using bower every day, both at home and at work, and it's really usefull for
me.

By the way, I have some questions:

1. To receive emails, I use a bash script that basically do:

    while true
    do
        offlineimap
        notmuch new
        notmuch tag ...
        sleep 60
    done

Would it be possible to have a hook 'pollmails' that is triggered from the Index
view by pressing a key (p or P), which can be configure in ~/.config/bower/bower.conf
like this:
pollmails=a_command.sh

So I can rewrite my bash script something like this:

    while true
    do
        offlineimap
        notmuch new
        notmuch tag ...

        before_enter_loop = `current date`

        while true
        do
           sleep 0.01
           now = `current date`
           if [ 'a_commmand.sh' has been called
                  or now > before_enter_loop + 60 seconds ]
           then
               exit loop
           fi
        done
    done

2. I've notice that errors could happend if I modify tags from bower while my
bash script is also modifiny tags of the incoming emails. Do you see any
solution?

3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).

4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?

5. When attaching a file, would it be possible to have '~' expanded to the $HOME directory?

6. In the index view, having the possiblity to scroll right and left (so one can
see the email tags in the line in too long)?

7. less important, having light colors for white console?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

David

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-12 14:37   ` Peter Wang
From: Peter Wang @ 2012-08-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Froger; +Cc: notmuch

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:40:23 +0200, David Froger <david.froger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi David,

> Thanks Peter, nice to see this new release and these new functionnalies!
>
> I'm using bower every day, both at home and at work, and it's really usefull for
> me.
>
> By the way, I have some questions:
>
> 1. To receive emails, I use a bash script that basically do:
>
>     while true
>     do
>         offlineimap
>         notmuch new
>         notmuch tag ...
>         sleep 60
>     done
>
> Would it be possible to have a hook 'pollmails' that is triggered from the Index
> view by pressing a key (p or P), which can be configure in ~/.config/bower/bower.conf
> like this:
> pollmails=a_command.sh

Basically, run an arbitrary command when a key is pressed.  It would
be fairly easy to add, but I wonder if it would be easy to stop adding
more :-)  You could bind a shortcut key to your window manager or
desktop environment that runs the command instead.

> 2. I've notice that errors could happend if I modify tags from bower while my
> bash script is also modifiny tags of the incoming emails. Do you see any
> solution?

The asynchronous tagging will retry after 5 seconds.  The notmuch error
message will show and mess up your screen (press ^L), which I would like
to fix somehow.  Ultimately, I think notmuch should handle this more
gracefully.

> 3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
> http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).

I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.

> 4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
> 'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
> message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?

The postponed message should be in Maildir/Drafts.  Can you see it with
`notmuch search tag:draft'?

> 5. When attaching a file, would it be possible to have '~' expanded to the $HOME directory?

Sure.

> 6. In the index view, having the possiblity to scroll right and left (so one can
> see the email tags in the line in too long)?

I'm not sure that's a great solution.  Maybe have a key that popups up
an info box, which would have enough room to show the whole subject
line, the list of authors and the tags?

> 7. less important, having light colors for white console?

Maybe :-)

Peter

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-12 15:53     ` David Froger
From: David Froger @ 2012-08-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

> Basically, run an arbitrary command when a key is pressed.  It would
> be fairly easy to add, but I wonder if it would be easy to stop adding
> more :-)  You could bind a shortcut key to your window manager or
> desktop environment that runs the command instead.
Yes of course, it's a lot simpler, why didn't I think to it...

> > 2. I've notice that errors could happend if I modify tags from bower while my
> > bash script is also modifiny tags of the incoming emails. Do you see any
> > solution?
>
> The asynchronous tagging will retry after 5 seconds.  The notmuch error
> message will show and mess up your screen (press ^L), which I would like
> to fix somehow.  Ultimately, I think notmuch should handle this more
> gracefully.
Ok! Two times, this had made notmuch bug for me: notmuch displayed a message like "welcome to a new
version of notmuch", and then retagged all my emails, deleting old tags.
(now, I dump my tags every day, and I avoid to use bower while notmuch is running).

> > 3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
> > http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).
>
> I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
> should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
> notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
> a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
> TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.
I  like this  solution,  I will  use it (adding 'and not tag:mutted' at the end of my search).
When  I'm not  interessed with  a long discussion on a mailling list,  I like to  be able to 'kill'
the thread so it does not reappear with every new mail.

> > 4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
> > 'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
> > message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?
>
> The postponed message should be in Maildir/Drafts.  Can you see it with
> `notmuch search tag:draft'?
No, `notmuch search tag:draft` returns 0.

> > 5. When attaching a file, would it be possible to have '~' expanded to the $HOME directory?
>
> Sure.
Thanks!

> > 6. In the index view, having the possiblity to scroll right and left (so one can
> > see the email tags in the line in too long)?
>
> I'm not sure that's a great solution.  Maybe have a key that popups up
> an info box, which would have enough room to show the whole subject
> line, the list of authors and the tags?
Yes, that would be perfect.

> > 7. less important, having light colors for white console?
>
> Maybe :-)
>
> Peter

Thanks for you support!
David

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-12 20:33       ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2012-08-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Froger, notmuch

Quoting David Froger (2012-08-12 16:53:43)
> > > 3. Would it be possible to have the feature 'kill a thread' like Sup have? (see
> > > http://sup.rubyforge.org/README.txt).
> >
> > I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
> > should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
> > notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
> > a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
> > TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.
> I  like this  solution,  I will  use it (adding 'and not tag:mutted' at the end of my search).
> When  I'm not  interessed with  a long discussion on a mailling list,  I like to  be able to 'kill'
> the thread so it does not reappear with every new mail.

I'm not sure if this actually solves your problem, because
notmuch's search is message, not thread based:
If you search for threads that match "is:inbox and not is:muted", you will see threads
that contain messages which are tagged with "inbox" and not with "muted".
This means if you just tag one (or all) msg in a thread "muted" and there is a new response,
this thread will contain such a matching message again and show up in your result list.

To make this work, you need to set up your tagging script (that you run after 'notmuch new')
so that it updates those new messages accordingly. If a msg belongs to a thread that has
muted messages, also tag the new one muted.
I can pretty much recommend Justus' tagging script afew: https://github.com/teythoon/afew
One of the filters that it supports out of the box is exactly the "kill threads" function
you want.

HTH,
/p

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-13  9:10       ` Peter Wang
From: Peter Wang @ 2012-08-13  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Froger; +Cc: notmuch

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 17:53:43 +0200, David Froger <david.froger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 4. postponed message doesn't work for me. When I postpone a message, it says
> > > 'message postponed', but when pressing R from Index view, it says 'No postponed
> > > message'. Maybe I need to create a directory to store postponed messages?
> >
> > The postponed message should be in Maildir/Drafts.  Can you see it with
> > `notmuch search tag:draft'?
> No, `notmuch search tag:draft` returns 0.

This is the command to save drafts:

    notmuch-deliver Drafts --tag=draft \
      --remove-tag=inbox --remove-tag=unread < message_file

Does it work if you run it manually?  Just make a dummy message_file
with Date:, From:, To:, Subject: headers and a body.

Peter

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-14  4:59         ` David Froger
From: David Froger @ 2012-08-14  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:33:39 +0100, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting David Froger (2012-08-12 16:53:43)
> > >
> > > I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
> > > should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
> > > notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
> > > a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
> > > TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.
> > I  like this  solution,  I will  use it (adding 'and not tag:mutted' at the end of my search).
> > When  I'm not  interessed with  a long discussion on a mailling list,  I like to  be able to 'kill'
> > the thread so it does not reappear with every new mail.
>
> I'm not sure if this actually solves your problem, because
> notmuch's search is message, not thread based:
> If you search for threads that match "is:inbox and not is:muted", you will see threads
> that contain messages which are tagged with "inbox" and not with "muted".
> This means if you just tag one (or all) msg in a thread "muted" and there is a new response,
> this thread will contain such a matching message again and show up in your result list.
Thanks for the clarification, it's very helpfull!

> To make this work, you need to set up your tagging script (that you run after 'notmuch new')
> so that it updates those new messages accordingly. If a msg belongs to a thread that has
> muted messages, also tag the new one muted.
> I can pretty much recommend Justus' tagging script afew: https://github.com/teythoon/afew
> One of the filters that it supports out of the box is exactly the "kill threads" function
> you want.

Thanks, this script looks very cool and I think I will replace mine with it (I should have
visited (http://notmuchmail.org/initial_tagging/ ...).  You're right, the filter I'm
interessed is in in aftew/filters/KillThreadsFilter.py, and do this:

for all email M that does not have tag 'killed':
    I = thread Id of the email M
    if there are emails that have thread id I and the 'killed' tag:
        apply 'killed' tag on email E

Thanks again for all the help.

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-14  5:25         ` David Froger
From: David Froger @ 2012-08-14  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

> This is the command to save drafts:
>
>     notmuch-deliver Drafts --tag=draft \
>       --remove-tag=inbox --remove-tag=unread < message_file
>
> Does it work if you run it manually?  Just make a dummy message_file
> with Date:, From:, To:, Subject: headers and a body.

The manual command works!

So I think I understand my problem. The reason is that in put in my
.config/bower/bower.conf:

notmuch_deliver=/bin/true

To solve the problem of "duplicated sent email" with Gmail:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78892

But I didn't realize that notmuch_deliver was also used for postponed messages.

What is the good config? (I see that you're using gmail too :-) ...)?

thanks,
David

* Re: [announce] Bower 0.4
@ 2012-08-14 12:00           ` Peter Wang
From: Peter Wang @ 2012-08-14 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 07:25:00 +0200, David Froger <david.froger@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I think I understand my problem. The reason is that in put in my
> .config/bower/bower.conf:
>
> notmuch_deliver=/bin/true
>
> To solve the problem of "duplicated sent email" with Gmail:
> http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78892
>
> But I didn't realize that notmuch_deliver was also used for postponed messages.
>
> What is the good config? (I see that you're using gmail too :-) ...)?

You can disable it by setting `post_sendmail' to empty.  I don't notice
duplicated emails because both gmail and notmuch suppress them, and it's
more important that I see what I've sent out immediately.

Peter