* info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-28 15:07 Philippe LeCavalier
From: Philippe LeCavalier @ 2012-02-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Just curious about 'alot'. I grabbed a copy from git but can't get past
a certain point of the setup. It appears to be in preliminary stages and
I'm prob. not the best candidate to run it reliably but I'd still like
to take a peek. Here's[1] what I'm stuck on. Any assistance would be
appreciated OR if this project is overly unstable for a non-coder please
don't hesitate to say so and I'll wait til it's more suitable for me.

Phil

ref.
[1]
[plecavalier@plc alot]$ bin/alot
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/alot", line 19, in <module>
    from alot.init import main
  File "/home/plecavalier/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/alot/init.py", line 9, in <module>
    from db import DBManager
  File "/home/plecavalier/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/alot/db.py", line 1, in <module>
    from notmuch import Database, NotmuchError, XapianError
ImportError: No module named notmuch
[plecavalier@plc alot]$

* Re: info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-28 15:17 ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2012-02-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Le 28 Feb 2012 10:07, Philippe LeCavalier a écrit:
> Just curious about 'alot'. I grabbed a copy from git but can't get past
> a certain point of the setup. It appears to be in preliminary stages and
> I'm prob. not the best candidate to run it reliably but I'd still like
> to take a peek. Here's[1] what I'm stuck on. Any assistance would be
> appreciated OR if this project is overly unstable for a non-coder please
> don't hesitate to say so and I'll wait til it's more suitable for me.

Have you installed the python bindings for notmuch ? In Debian (and
probably Ubuntu), it's in the package python-notmuch. Just type:

 apt-get install python-notmuch

Best,

Olivier

* Re: info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-28 15:23   ` Philippe LeCavalier
From: Philippe LeCavalier @ 2012-02-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander, notmuch

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:17:44 +0100, Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> wrote:
> Le 28 Feb 2012 10:07, Philippe LeCavalier a écrit:
> > Just curious about 'alot'. I grabbed a copy from git but can't get past
> > a certain point of the setup. It appears to be in preliminary stages and
> > I'm prob. not the best candidate to run it reliably but I'd still like
> > to take a peek. Here's[1] what I'm stuck on. Any assistance would be
> > appreciated OR if this project is overly unstable for a non-coder please
> > don't hesitate to say so and I'll wait til it's more suitable for me.
>
> Have you installed the python bindings for notmuch ? In Debian (and
> probably Ubuntu), it's in the package python-notmuch. Just type:
>
>  apt-get install python-notmuch
I'm on Fedora 16. yum search python-notmuch gives 'No matches found'.
I ran Deb for years and just switch to Fedora so I'm not all that
comfortable with yum just yet.

Phil

* Re: info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-28 15:45     ` Philippe LeCavalier
       [not found]       ` <20120228161057.GA8390@bugaga.lan>
From: Philippe LeCavalier @ 2012-02-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander, notmuch

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:23:54 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier <support@plecavalier.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:17:44 +0100, Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> wrote:
> > Le 28 Feb 2012 10:07, Philippe LeCavalier a écrit:
> > > Just curious about 'alot'. I grabbed a copy from git but can't get past
> > > a certain point of the setup. It appears to be in preliminary stages and
> > > I'm prob. not the best candidate to run it reliably but I'd still like
> > > to take a peek. Here's[1] what I'm stuck on. Any assistance would be
> > > appreciated OR if this project is overly unstable for a non-coder please
> > > don't hesitate to say so and I'll wait til it's more suitable for me.
> >
> > Have you installed the python bindings for notmuch ? In Debian (and
> > probably Ubuntu), it's in the package python-notmuch. Just type:
> >
> >  apt-get install python-notmuch
> I'm on Fedora 16. yum search python-notmuch gives 'No matches found'.
> I ran Deb for years and just switch to Fedora so I'm not all that
> comfortable with yum just yet.
Okay. So I had to go grab F17 rpms but I got passed the missing pkgs
issue. Now I've got a parse error in my config. Is there an example
somewhere that is more comprehensive than the git README? This[2] is
what I'm using now.

Phil

ref.
[2]
 [account 2012]
           realname = Philippe LeCavalier
           address = support@plecavalier.com

@ 2012-02-28 16:30         ` Philippe LeCavalier
From: Philippe LeCavalier @ 2012-02-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:10:57 +0100, Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> wrote:
> Le 28 Feb 2012 10:45, Philippe LeCavalier a écrit:
> > Okay. So I had to go grab F17 rpms but I got passed the missing pkgs
> > issue.
>
> Nice.
>
> > Now I've got a parse error in my config. Is there an example
> > somewhere that is more comprehensive than the git README? This[2] is
> > what I'm using now.
>
> I don't really use alot but after a quick test, it seems that the
> configuration file parser used by alot does not like leading spaces.
k. I'll edit accordingly.

> Where did you find your example ? I don't see anything on the README.md
> file on the git repository. And the one in the manual [1] is very
> different from yours.
At the bottom of the INSTALL.md page[2] in gitorious.

> [1] http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/latest/configuration/index.html#accounts
[2]https://github.com/pazz/alot/blob/master/INSTALL.md
Phil

* Re: info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-28 17:42           ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2012-02-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

>> Where did you find your example ? I don't see anything on the README.md
>> file on the git repository. And the one in the manual [1] is very
>> different from yours.
> At the bottom of the INSTALL.md page[2] in gitorious.
>
>> [1] http://alot.readthedocs.org/en/latest/configuration/index.html#accounts
> [2]https://github.com/pazz/alot/blob/master/INSTALL.md

The "latest" docs on readthedocs reflects the testing branch of pazz/alot,
where the config system has changed a bit. And the "0.21" version page only
contains API/devel docs, which makes it a bit confusing.

* Re: info about notmuch gui 'alot'
@ 2012-02-29 17:40             ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2012-02-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel, notmuch

Hi!

The config syntax changed recently, when I switched from configparser to configobj.
To clarify:

* the new config syntax is explained in the user docs at http://alot.rtfd.org.
  These are auto-generated at each commit and correspond to the `testing` branch,
  which is where the bleeding edge lives.

* both old and new config formats are (based on) INI:
  That means the *do* accept leading spaces, everything after a `#` is a comment.
  The new syntax makes use of nested sections, something configobj can parse
  and configparser cannot.

* both master and testing have switched to the new syntax, but only in testing
  is this actually documented in README/INSTALL.
  https://github.com/pazz/alot/blob/testing/INSTALL.md

This is due to me being lazy and that I'm planning to merge testing and master to make a next release soon anyway, so I
did not bother cherry picking that commit. But I'm happy to see that there are enough potential users
to be confused by this and will fix this inconsistency in the docs.

By the way: If you want to be on the safe side regarding the bindings, go for notmuch and its python bindings
from git master instead of potentially outdated versions provided by your distri.

Cheers,
/p