* In some cases get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() does not return all messages
@ 2018-07-02  4:59 Gaute Hope
From: Gaute Hope @ 2018-07-02  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

a while back I got a bug report for astroid about
get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() not showing all
messages [0]. When relying on these alone the user will occasionally
miss emails.

I do not have much more information, but I'll post this here in case
someone else experiences this -- or it might already be fixed?

Regards, Gaute

[0] https://github.com/astroidmail/astroid/pull/243

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

* Re: In some cases get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() does not return all messages
@ 2018-07-10 17:21 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2018-07-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaute Hope, notmuch

Gaute Hope <eg@gaute.vetsj.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> a while back I got a bug report for astroid about
> get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() not showing all
> messages [0]. When relying on these alone the user will occasionally
> miss emails.
>
> I do not have much more information, but I'll post this here in case
> someone else experiences this -- or it might already be fixed?

Not sure it it's the same bug, but there was a bug related to reference
loops that would have lost some top level messages. This bug was fixed
in notmuch 0.26.2, so if the user hasn't tried with that or 0.27, they
probably should.

* Re: In some cases get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() does not return all messages
@ 2018-07-10 17:43   ` Gaute Hope
From: Gaute Hope @ 2018-07-10 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner writes on July 10, 2018 19:21:
> Gaute Hope <eg@gaute.vetsj.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> a while back I got a bug report for astroid about
>> get_toplevel_messages() and _message_get_replies() not showing all
>> messages [0]. When relying on these alone the user will occasionally
>> miss emails.
>>
>> I do not have much more information, but I'll post this here in case
>> someone else experiences this -- or it might already be fixed?
>>

> Not sure it it's the same bug, but there was a bug related to reference
> loops that would have lost some top level messages. This bug was fixed
> in notmuch 0.26.2, so if the user hasn't tried with that or 0.27, they
> probably should.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a reply (as you probably noticed the issue
is from 2016). I can probably change the code to throw an error on
mismatching message count rather than looping through the messages.

- gaute