* Learning Notmuch
@ 2015-06-06  1:45 Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2015-06-06  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I'm new to Notmuch. Could I get feedback on the following?

https://github.com/johnnyutahh/tag-based-email
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/tag-based-email#the_main_questions

Thanks for any help,
Johnny

* Re: Learning Notmuch
@ 2015-06-06  7:59 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2015-06-06  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny Utahh, notmuch

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015, Johnny Utahh <notmuchmail.org@johnnyutahh.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Notmuch. Could I get feedback on the following?
>
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/tag-based-email
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/tag-based-email#the_main_questions

You're probably better off sending your specific questions to the list,
so we can quote them in our replies and discuss them. You are, after
all, asking questions about email tools and workflows. ;)

IMO the notion of "tag-based email" is misleading to begin with. I would
call both notmuch and mu *search* based email tools. Tagging is just one
small part of it. For example, I mostly use predefined saved searches in
notmuch-emacs, and very few tags.

The last time I checked, the main differences between notmuch and mu
were in threading, community, and spinoff tools. I think the handling of
threads is superior in notmuch (YMMV), and this is particularly visible
in the emacs interfaces. The downside of that is slower
indexing. Notmuch has a wider developer community while mu is mostly a
one man show. Notmuch has more people to keep the project moving, but
one person might provide a more unified UI experience. Finally, I think
there are more tools and MUAs written around notmuch, partly due to the
language bindings to the library.

BR,
Jani.

* Re: Learning Notmuch
@ 2015-06-06 19:32   ` Johnny Utahh
From: Johnny Utahh @ 2015-06-06 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 6/6/15, 2:59 AM, Jani Nikula wrote:
> You're probably better off sending your specific questions to the
> list, so we can quote them in our replies and discuss them.

Certainly. Does the following work? (They're questions, each followed by
corresponding section weblinks from the document's Table of Contents,
for context/details.) Should I instead send each question as a separate
email?

Which MUA(s) is (are) best for me?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#MUA_choice

Support old-style IMAP-folder paradigm?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#old_style_imap_folder_paradigm

Support IMAP-account separation?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#imap_account_separation

Will tags stick with moved messages?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#moving-msgs-after-applying-tags

Hot to perform MUA folder-based searching with name auto-completion?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#folder_based_searching

How to support "IMAP folders as tags"?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#IMAP_folders_as_tags

How to auto-detect need for IMAP resync?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#auto-detect-if-imap-resync-needed

Sync metadata across machines?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync_notmuch_metadata_across_machines

Sync Notmuch tags with maildir flags?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync-notmuch-tags-with-maildir-flags

How to manage messages with attachments?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#managing-message-attachments

How to support offline editing - postponing drafts?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#offline-editing-postponing-drafts

How to write HTML-formatted messages?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#writing-html-formatted-messages

How to forward messages with attachments?
https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#forwarding_msgs_w_attachments

> IMO the notion of "tag-based email" is misleading to begin with. I
> would call both notmuch and mu *search* based email tools. Tagging is
> just one small part of it.

Got it. I've retitled the doc.

> The last time I checked, the main differences between notmuch and mu
> were in threading, community, and spinoff tools. I think the handling of
> threads is superior in notmuch (YMMV), and this is particularly visible
> in the emacs interfaces. The downside of that is slower
> indexing. Notmuch has a wider developer community while mu is mostly a
> one man show. Notmuch has more people to keep the project moving, but
> one person might provide a more unified UI experience. Finally, I think
> there are more tools and MUAs written around notmuch, partly due to the
> language bindings to the library.

Thanks, quite helpful.

Johnny
--
//

* Re: Learning Notmuch
@ 2015-06-07  9:49     ` Gaute Hope
From: Gaute Hope @ 2015-06-07  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny Utahh, notmuch

Excerpts from Johnny Utahh's message of June 6, 2015 21:32:
> How to support "IMAP folders as tags"?
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#IMAP_folders_as_tags
>
> How to auto-detect need for IMAP resync?
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#auto-detect-if-imap-resync-needed
>

> Sync metadata across machines?
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync_notmuch_metadata_across_machines
>

> Sync Notmuch tags with maildir flags?
> https://github.com/johnnyutahh/search-based-email#sync-notmuch-tags-with-maildir-flags

abunchoftags [0] works on gmail-sources by syncing gmail-tags and
notmuch tags.

[0] https://github.com/gauteh/abunchoftags

- gaute