* How do I prevent notmuch-show in Emacs from automatically following links in emails?
@ 2015-04-29 10:09 Philip
From: Philip @ 2015-04-29 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

  When I open emails in the notmuch-show mode on Emacs, it automatically
  follows links which are present in the email. For instance, it
  connects to various tracking objects included in the email. How can I
  prevent it from doing this automatically all the time? Is there a
  setting by which notmuch-show will not follow links in emails?

Thanks,
Philip

* Re: How do I prevent notmuch-show in Emacs from automatically following links in emails?
@ 2015-04-29 10:47 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2015-04-29 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip, notmuch

On Wed, Apr 29 2015, Philip <notmuch@accounts.gphilip.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   When I open emails in the notmuch-show mode on Emacs, it automatically
>   follows links which are present in the email. For instance, it
>   connects to various tracking objects included in the email. How can I
>   prevent it from doing this automatically all the time? Is there a
>   setting by which notmuch-show will not follow links in emails?

This:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.notmuch.general/20159

should do it for inline images. you need latest git version for that.

I wonder is anyone has tested this thorougly...
M-x debug-on-entry open-network-stream catches at least the ones
emacs does, and LD_PRELOAD could be used to catch connect(2) calls.

Tomi

@ 2015-04-29 19:42 ` David Mazieres
From: David Mazieres @ 2015-04-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip, notmuch

Philip <notmuch@accounts.gphilip.in> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   When I open emails in the notmuch-show mode on Emacs, it automatically
>   follows links which are present in the email. For instance, it
>   connects to various tracking objects included in the email. How can I
>   prevent it from doing this automatically all the time? Is there a
>   setting by which notmuch-show will not follow links in emails?

If you just want something quick and dirty, put the following in your
.emacs file:

(setq gnus-inhibit-images t)

I do that, and then in the very rare occasions where I want to see all
the images, I just open the message in my browser by typing ". v" on the
html part button.

I'm sure the patch Tomi linked to is much better, but this works with
unmodified notmuch.

David

* Re: How do I prevent notmuch-show in Emacs from automatically following links in emails?
@ 2015-04-30  2:49   ` G Philip
From: G Philip @ 2015-04-30  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mazieres expires 2015-07-28 PDT, notmuch

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015, at 09:42 PM, David Mazieres wrote:
> Philip <notmuch@accounts.gphilip.in> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   When I open emails in the notmuch-show mode on Emacs, it automatically
> >   follows links which are present in the email. For instance, it
> >   connects to various tracking objects included in the email. How can I
> >   prevent it from doing this automatically all the time? Is there a
> >   setting by which notmuch-show will not follow links in emails?
>
> If you just want something quick and dirty, put the following in your
> .emacs file:
>
> (setq gnus-inhibit-images t)
>
> I do that, and then in the very rare occasions where I want to see all
> the images, I just open the message in my browser by typing ". v" on the
> html part button.
>
> I'm sure the patch Tomi linked to is much better, but this works with
> unmodified notmuch.

Thank you. I have added this to my .emacs, let me see what happens with
the next spam email.

Thanks to Tomi, too!

Regards,
Philip