* remove unused tags from the database / emacs ui?
@ 2013-04-24  7:31 ingo
From: ingo @ 2013-04-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all,

I have recently started using notmuch, and may stick with it ;-)

There's one thing, though.

I have some tags which were created by afew tests, or just misspelling tags.
These tags are now unused, but seem to still be in the database, or cached
in the emacs ui, because I get these tags as possibilities in "add tags"
list.

I tried to compress the database, and this didn't change anything in this
regard.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of them?
(notmuch 0.15.2 / emacs ui)

Kind regards,

Ingo Hohmann

* Re: remove unused tags from the database / emacs ui?
@ 2013-04-24  8:04 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2013-04-24  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ingo, notmuch

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013, ingo <mail1@2b1.de> wrote:
> I have some tags which were created by afew tests, or just misspelling tags.
> These tags are now unused, but seem to still be in the database, or cached
> in the emacs ui, because I get these tags as possibilities in "add tags"
> list.

Apparently you still have some messages tagged with these tags. You can
get a list of all the tags in all the messages in the database using:

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*'

Or view the "All tags" section in notmuch-hello in Emacs. There you can
also query which messages have these "undesirable" tags.

> Any ideas on how I can get rid of them?

On the command line, if you wanted, for example, "foo" and "bar" tags
removed from all the messages:

$ notmuch tag -foo -bar -- '*'

Alternatively, do a search for all messages in emacs, and hit '*' in the
search view to tag all messages matching the query. List the ones you
want removed.

HTH,
Jani.

* Re: remove unused tags from the database / emacs ui?
@ 2013-04-24  8:54   ` ingo
From: ingo @ 2013-04-24  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Jani,

thank you for your help, you helped in the right direction.
All mails tagged with some of those unwanted tags was also tagged spam.
And spam is configured to not show up in normal searches, that's why I was
unable to find them.
Now all those tags have been removed, and it even seems to speed up
searches, great.

Kind regards,
Ingo