unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* lei up without creating xapian database
@ 2023-12-12 11:17 Aneesh Kumar K.V (IBM)
From: Aneesh Kumar K.V (IBM) @ 2023-12-12 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hi,

I currently use notmuch to manage my emails, and I already have a xapian
index created for all the emails on my system. I want to switch to using
lei to download emails from lore.kernel.org based on query patterns, and
I want to index these emails with notmuch. However, I noticed that lei
also creates an index for these emails, which is not necessary for my
workflow. Is there a way to use lei to download emails to maildir from a
public-inbox server without creating the xapian index on the local disk?

-aneesh

* Re: lei up without creating xapian database
@ 2023-12-12 11:41 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2023-12-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aneesh Kumar K.V (IBM); +Cc: meta

"Aneesh Kumar K.V (IBM)" <aneesh.kumar@kernel.org> wrote:
> I currently use notmuch to manage my emails, and I already have a xapian
> index created for all the emails on my system. I want to switch to using
> lei to download emails from lore.kernel.org based on query patterns, and
> I want to index these emails with notmuch. However, I noticed that lei
> also creates an index for these emails, which is not necessary for my
> workflow. Is there a way to use lei to download emails to maildir from a
> public-inbox server without creating the xapian index on the local disk?

Not yet, unfortunately.  I have plans to make lei independent of
Xapian (SQLite will still be necessary), but it hasn't been a
priority this year, maybe next year...

The (hopefully) coming lei FUSE3 backend may be helpful for notmuch
users, too, since it'll allow storing compressed/deltafied/deduped
messages in git w/o eating millions of real inodes.