unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* pop3: does uuid need to be unique for all mailboxes?
@ 2023-09-25 20:02 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2023-09-25 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hopefully an easy question:

If I'm subscribing to two different mailboxes via pop3, does the uuid part
need to be unique for each mailbox? For example, will the following cause any
problems because the uuid is the same?

- 2db99975-4977-4866-8819-d7fbbf0f9cb4@org.kernel.vger.netdev?initial_limit=10
- 2db99975-4977-4866-8819-d7fbbf0f9cb4@org.kernel.vger.bpf?initial_limit=10

-K

* Re: pop3: does uuid need to be unique for all mailboxes?
@ 2023-09-25 21:02 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2023-09-25 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: meta

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hopefully an easy question:
>
> If I'm subscribing to two different mailboxes via pop3, does the uuid part
> need to be unique for each mailbox?

Nope, you can reuse UUID across different mailboxes.

> For example, will the following cause any
> problems because the uuid is the same?
>
> - 2db99975-4977-4866-8819-d7fbbf0f9cb4@org.kernel.vger.netdev?initial_limit=10
> - 2db99975-4977-4866-8819-d7fbbf0f9cb4@org.kernel.vger.bpf?initial_limit=10

No problems, it's totally fine to recommend that since it saves
small amount of storage and will speed up expiry[1]

FWIW, the DB schema is in the create_state_tables() sub of
lib/PublicInbox/POP3D.pm and hopefully easily understandable
even to non-Perl hackers.

[1] of course, there's hardly any users, so I'm not sure it matters