all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: John Kehayias via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
To: "51000@debbugs.gnu.org" <51000@debbugs.gnu.org>
Subject: bug#51000: The Web manual situation is still needlessly confusing
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 04:19:41 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi everyone,

Definitely agree with needing this to be clearer than it is currently. As a new user I was a bit confused over the different manual versions on the website (which is still how I prefer to read the manual). As a side note, when searching online with Guix questions, I think I only see the 'stable' version come up in results.

We could perhaps be clearer in what is meant by the 'stable'/1.3.0 documentation. Seems this is mostly needed in preparing for installation (with the 1.3.0 image, not if building a current install image, of course) and during installation. Afterward, users will probably run a guix pull very soon (as in Getting Started, or as recommended by the guix command itself) and thus no longer be on the 1.3.0 manual. I'm not sure how best to communicate this on the website, but to me it is related to the next point:

I think we need something describing what we mean by Guix versions and releases, perhaps in the Intro and/or Getting Started sections (and on an About type page?). I was confused by this starting out, as I'm used to rolling distros like Arch (or, a long time ago, distros like Debian). While Guix is mostly 'rolling', we also have releases with certain package changes (like core-updates) and Guix changes. Just a simple description would I think help new users and give better context for the manual versions, however we label or make them available.

I'm happy to take a stab and making either of these points clearer, especially as one newer to Guix with these questions and assumptions nearer to mind.

John