all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Martin Castillo <castilma@uni-bremen.de>
To: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help-Guix Digest, Vol 89, Issue 35 (Martin Castillo)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:23:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Am 22.04.23 um 18:25 schrieb Gottfried:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for help.
>
> 1.
>> To test 1) add
>>> echo reading xprofile on $(date) >>~/login.log
>>> to your .xprofile and logout and back in.
>
> I have a file .zprofile in my home directory
> but not a file: .xprofile

I thought it was a typo in your other mail. zprofile is the startup file
for the zsh shell. It's corresponds to the .bash_profile for bash.

But I really mean .xprofile. If it does not exist, create the file and write

# all Profile beim Start des Displays Managers öffnen
source ~/.bash_profile

into it.
Also, remove that line from the zprofile.

> I tried with both to add it to my .zprofile file
> did not help.

> 2.
>> If this file is really sourced on login, you should find the file
>>> ~/login.log with a line saying something like reading xprofile on Do
>>> 20. Apr 16:13:21 CEST 2023.
>
> I did not find a file: ~/login.log
>
> I have  files:
> .e-log.log
> .e-log.log.old
>
> or they are in a different directory?

Try again after doing what I wrote above.

> in /etc/profile there is > I don’t know if that helps, so I copied it
No, it does not. Unless you changed it in your system config, it's the
same every other guix user has on their system.

>> If login.log exists, then there seems to be something wrong with the
>> lines that should activate the profiles in .bash_profile.
>> To test 2) start a login shell with a clean environment
>> env - bash -l
>>
>> and check whether that shell has all the profiles activated. If not,
>> there is something wrong with your .bash_profile. You should post that
>> then.
>

> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ env - $(which bash) -l
> gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$ icecat
> Error: no DISPLAY environment variable specified
> gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$ chromium
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> [7535:7535:0422/182050.365759:ERROR:ozone_platform_x11.cc(238)] Missing
> X server or $DISPLAY
> [7535:7535:0422/182050.366270:ERROR:env.cc(255)] The platform failed to
> initialize.  Exiting.
> gfp@Tuxedo /home/gfp$

This looks good: You started a login shell with an empty environment,
(it means when it started, no guix-profile was activated), and the
commands icecat and chromium were found.

 > I tried to open icecat and chromium in that shell but it doesn’t work.

The reason they printed errors is because the couldn't initialize the
connection to the window manager, which is necessary for graphical
applications. The couldn't connect because the environment variable
DISPLAY was not set (since env - removed it for the shell and it's child
processes).

So, if icecat and chromium are not installed system wide but only in one
of your custom profiles, it means they must have been actived by the
login shell you started. So your .bash_profile seems to work.

Martin Castillo