all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Medium-term road map
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:38:42 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> We released 1.1.0, but what’s coming next?  What would you like to see?
> Thoughts?

Hi Ludo’ et al,

Thanks for your hard work on the 1.1.0 release!

Your proposed direction sounds great to me. To those, I would like to add:

* Improvements in the Go and Rust build systems. Are the any commonalities
that we can factor our for providing the source of dependencies?

* Continued development of guix deploy. Figuring out how to deploy secrets
to remote machines would be great.

* Accessibility for the installer. I don't know where we stand currently,
but it would be great to know and make improvements.

* Sandboxing of applications. What would a Guix System with SELinux
enforcement look like?

* GDM and GNOME-Shell Wayland sessions.

* Continued improvements to bootstrapping and GNU Hurd efforts.

I certainly don't have the energy to work on all of these at once. Goals
for my involvement in Guix are to help review more patches, and contribute
to areas of Guix outside of package definition.

Best,
Jack