all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jesse Millwood <jesse_m@fastmail.com>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help with channel build system and package
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:02:27 -0500	[thread overview]

Thanks for your response Richard!

On 3/8/24 22:39, Richard Sent wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> I expect your issue is you have an extra gexp in
> build-system/crosstool-ng.scm, line 71. I determined this by:
>
> 1. Examining the derivation Guix is trying to build
I'm still trying to learn about the internals of Guix and writing
packages. How did you examine the derivation Guix is trying to build?
> 2. Examining the -builder file mentioned in the derivation
Ah! I did not notice that file in the output nor open it! I see now that
the Derivations section of the manual mentions these drv files. Is this
where you are examining the derivation that Guix is trying to build?
> 3. Observe that ct-ng-riscv64-unknown-elf-1.26.0-builder wraps
> (crosstool-ng-build ...) in (gexp).

Where is this? Are you talking of this in build-system/crosstool-ng:

   (define build
     (with-imported-modules
      imported-modules
      #~(begin
          (use-modules #$@(sexp->gexp modules))
          #~(crosstool-ng-build #:name #$name

Where "#~", I have learned from Marek (earlier in this thread), is an
alias for "gexp".

Ah, I see the ct-ng-riscv64-unknown-elf-1.26.0-builder in the drv file
and wow, I didn't know this existed! I see the gexp wrapping that you
mention.

Is there a way to use the guix command to tell me where the drv file for
other packages exist? It is apparent that I need to perform a more in
depth review of the manual. This really helps contextualize things for me.

> The package still did not build locally on my machine after removing it,
> but it seems to have progressed to a further stage.

Thanks, I may investigate how other derivations look now that I know
where to look. I appreciate the detailed input!