all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
To: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Rust team branch (was Re: Discussion notes on releases and branches)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:14:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 01:19:28PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Attached are the notes of our discussion at the Guix Days concerning
> releases, branches, teams and related matters.
>
> Andreas
>

> BRANCHES
>
> Suggestion:
> - Spin off a stable branch from master with security fixes, maybe important
>   backports; after 6 months, branch a new stable branch from master; this
>   is almost like a release, but continued into some future.
>
> Counter-suggestion:
> - Create branches with a few patches or patchsets; in any case with
>   a "semantic" description of the changes. The branches could be
>   shortlived. Feature branches are one incarnation of the concept.
> - The numerical criteria for staging and core-updates is outdated:
>   Even non-core packages may create an enormous number of rebuilds.
> - Negative point: There is a risk of churn, by not regrouping world-
>   rebuilding changes - but two non related world rebuilding changes
>   might be difficult to review.
>
> Before creating new branches, we need to clarify how the old branches
> are handled!
>
> - Smaller branches could be taken care of by dedicated persons
>   responsible for pushing them forward. For instance by teams.
> - Some people already do this for a feature branch on their local
>   machine for medium-sized updates (ocaml), or even on ci (haskell,
>   kernel updates).
> - Branch creators should fix a goal and tentative timeline.
> - We need a mapping between branches and maintainers responsible
>   for the merge. This could be a team leader, if such a role is created.
>   A wiki could be used to keep track of the branches.
> - There is discussion whether we need a core-updates branch.
>   Core updates concern the toolchain, build phase changes, everything
>   that has big ramifications all over the system. It would be important
>   to not have several "parallel" branches with related (for instance,
>   but not exclusively, core-update) changes, which in fact should come
>   one after the other. Either they could be collected in one branch,
>   or would require coordination of branch creation (inside a team, say).
> - "Merge trains" of gitlab are mentioned, as a way of merging several
>   branches at the same time.
> - Grafts can also be handled in feature branches: The graft is applied
>   to master; the graft is applied to a different branch, directly followed
>   by an ungrafting commit and an update of the corresponding package;
>   once the branch is built it is merged back to master.
> - Minor drawback: If qa has treated a world-rebuilding patch, the
>   substitutes will be available on bordeaux, but not on berlin; people
>   who have installed a long time ago and not authorised bordeaux might
>   be affected. If there are complaints, they can be handled on the
>   mailing list.
> - Moving fast poses problems for non-x86 architectures, but the build farm
>   situation has improved for aarch64 and armhf sufficiently to keep up
> [...]

On behalf of the Rust Team™¹ we'd like to check our rust source tarballs
for any hidden binaries² and to do a mass upgrade of many of the crates.
Currently there are many crates queued up in the staging branch but we'd
like to pull them out and run a rust-team branch.

As a project we haven't setup anything for starting the team-based
branches and upgrades, and the Rust Team volunteers to go first.

Although the rust team would consider adding librsvg (and
python-cryptography) to our list of packages, we'd like to not touch it
this round, to keep it "small" (as far as rust goes) as a test.

¹ Help wanted
² https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61352