all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Ségolène Métais" <segolene.metais@gmail.com>
To: "Remco van 't Veer" <remco@remworks.net>, 57083@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#57083: Fwd: Jekyll is unusable
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:09:59 +0000	[thread overview]

(I send this message again because it does not appear in the archive).

Hello,

Thank you Remco for your help. I was able to run jekyll without and with
bundle using your instructions.

I am not sure what should be done with the package.

To use Jekyll with bundle, here are the details in case someone would get
stucked:
sego@pluto ~/job/site/www$ guix shell jekyll ruby -D ruby
sego@pluto ~/job/site/www [env]$ jekyll new tmpdir
Running bundle install in /home/sego/job/site/www/tmpdir...
New jekyll site installed in /home/sego/job/site/www/tmpdir.
sego@pluto ~/job/site/www [env]$ cd tmpdir/
sego@pluto ~/job/site/www/tmpdir [env]$ bundle add webrick
sego@pluto ~/job/site/www/tmpdir [env]$ bundle exec jekyll serve
[...]
Server address: http://127.0.0.1:4000/
Server running... press ctrl-c to stop.

Cheers,
Ségolène

Le lun. 15 août 2022 à 12:51, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> a
écrit :

> The jekyll packages is pretty minimal and the generated site by a
> "jekyll new" requires more than supplied by the package.  To get it to
> work you either need to include the ruby package for bundler (as you
> did), set GEM_HOME to some writable directory, and pull in the
>
> development dependencies of ruby (to allow compilation of native code
> gems).  Or stay minimal, here's an example:
>
>   $ guix shell --pure jekyll -- jekyll new --skip-bundle testdir
>   New jekyll site installed in /home/me/tmp/testdir.
>   Bundle install skipped.
>   $ echo title: test title > testdir/_config.yml # drop theme and plugins
>   $ rm testdir/Gemfile # avoid bundler installing themes and plugins
>   $ echo test content >> testdir/index.markdown
>   $ guix shell --pure jekyll -- jekyll s --source=testdir
>   Configuration file: /home/me/tmp/testdir/_config.yml
>               Source: /home/me/tmp/testdir
>          Destination: /home/me/tmp/_site
>    Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
>         Generating...
>        Build Warning: Layout 'post' requested in
_posts/2022-08-15-welcome-to-jekyll.markdown does not exist.