all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
To: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Ruby 2.5, pushing to staging?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 23:53:31 +0100	[thread overview]

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

>>> A new minor version of Ruby has been out for a while, and it would be
>>> good to get Ruby 2.5 in to Guix.
>>>
>>> I've put up a patch here [1], and tried it locally. I've pushed some
>>> fixes to master to make some packages compatible [2], and while I do get
>>> some failures when building the 958 (according to guix refresh -l)
>>> dependant packages, I'm unsure how many of these are down to the Ruby
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> 1: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32871
>>> 2: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32870
>>>
>>> Anyway, looking at the contributing guide this is possibly too big of a
>>> change to push directly to master, so should I push this to the staging
>>> branch?
>>
>> I've now gone ahead and pushed to staging. Not really sure what happens
>> now.... will berlin and hydra pick this up automatically, and start
>> building packages?
>
> So, I'm still interested in pushing Ruby 2.5 forward. I've now pushed an
> upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.3 to the staging branch, as that seemed
> sensible.

Thank you for taking care of Ruby :-)

> I can see that ci.guix.info (berlin) has picked this up (I think here
> [1]), but I'm not sure what to do next...?

I can start this branch on Hydra tomorrow or Monday (it's busy
currently).  If there are no regressions, it should be safe to merge.

We need to synchronize the build farms until users have migrated to
Berlin, since many users probably only have Hydra still.

PS: Staging is currently at ~3500 rebuilds[*], which is way more than
the usual ~1200 rebuilds.  If there are other heavy-impact patches
pending that does not significantly increase this number, we might be
able to squeeze them in.

[*] According to "guix refresh -l -e '(@@ (gnu packages build-tools)
meson-for-build)' boost ruby eudev mesa wayland imagemagick openblas nss"