all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>
To: Kaelyn <kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com>, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: problems installing on LUKS2 encrypted device
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:38:14 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi both of you,

Kaelyn <kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com> writes:

> About halfway through the email, your use of LUKS2 with Grub was tickling my brain about what I remembered reading regarding Grub's LUKS2 support being limited. While searching for references for that--and subsequently seeing that you were already using PBKDF2--I came across https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55093 which seems to hold the answer. According to the newest comment, Grub 2.06 has a seemingly-undocumented additional requirement for working with LUKS2 of needing to use sha256 as the keyslot hash.

That's it: the GRUB userspace tools don't properly detect LUKS2 mapped
devices and so don't include the modules needed to decrypt them.  This
is fixed in the newly released 2.12 (by yours truly), but we haven't
packaged it yet.  Using that would simply be the better solution, and
I'll look into updating it in Guix soon.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret