all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com>
To: Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: 29/88: gnu: Add emacs-let-alist.
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 20:11:51 +0300	[thread overview]

Oleg Pykhalov (2018-05-06 20:39 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
> […]
>
>> I don't understand what mechanism you mean.  Why it cannot simply be
>> removed?
>
> ‘guix import elpa’ should remove ‘let-alist’ or ‘guix lint’ should
> notify ‘let-alist’ is already present in current Emacs.

I don't think we should bother about it.  Potentially, there always may
be some packages in ELPA that are kept there just for backward
compatibility (i.e., for the older versions of Emacs).  I really think
it is unnecessary to keep track of such packages and treat them
specially on the Guix side.

>>> ‘let-alist’
>>> shouln't clutter much if it stays in Guix package collection for a time.
>>
>> But why should it stay?  Since Emacs includes it, and it is not a
>> dependency for any package, I don't see a reason to keep it.
>
> Because people will not package it again until Guix ‘import’ or ‘lint’
> handle ‘let-alist’.

OK, I see your point.  I have an opposite opinion: I would definitely
check if a package is a part of Emacs before trying to package it.  And
I think 'let-alist' should be removed, since it is a useless package.

Anyway, if other people will not answer, I think you can do whatever
seems appropriate to you.

--
Alex