all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Brian Cully via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
Cc: "Αντώνιος Τσώλης" <tsolis.antonios@gmail.com>, 62698@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#62698: bind:utils
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 12:58:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for finding the problem.  Should we leave this bug open
> until
> specification->package+output is properly documented in our
> manual, with
> an example?  If yes, would you like to try your hand at adding
> it?

I've looked at this briefly, and can't figure out a good place to
document this (I'm also not particularly good with TexInfo).

I'm okay with closing the bug. Though I will say that I think this
procedure is a bit of a foot-gun. Multiple value returns are
always kind of weird, and in this particular case I don't see the
value at all; the only reason to use
‘specification->package+output’ would be to get both the package
and the output, so the minor advantages of multi-value returns are
obviated. On top of that, does this even get used outside of
system/home definitions? And in those places you always want a
list.

I realize a lot of code uses the current semantics, so changing
them would be extremely difficult at this late stage. It's worth
thinking about adding another procedure that does the expected
thing (returning a list of package and output), IMHO, and
transitioning over to that.

-bjc