all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz>
To: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: wip blog post: running Guix System on ARM
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:29:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Neat, thanks for this article!

Question: how do you intend to convert the markdown to Texinfo?

Some typos / nits below:

Maybe define initramfs?  Or just link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs.

> to load some modules, especially to access the root file system.  In my case, the SSD is
> on an ahci device, so I need a driver for it.  The kernel defines `ahci_sunxi` for that

AHCI

> Your own board may need other kernel modules to boot properly, however it is hard to discover
> them.  Guix can tell you when a module is missing in your configuration file if it is loaded
> as a module.  Most distros however build these modules in the kernel directly, so Guix cannot

Maybe "distributions" unabridged?

> Also note that module names are not consistent between what Guix expects and what is printed by
> dmesg, especially when the contain a "-" or a "_".  You will find the correct file name by building

Word missing here: "when the contain".

> Here, I could find a file named "kernel/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.ko", hence the module
> name `sunxi-mmc`.  For the other driver, I found a "kernel/drivers/ata/ahci_sunxi.ko",
> hence the name `ahci_sunxi`, even if dmesg suggested `ahci-sunxi`.

Maybe add "(notice the '_' and the '-' difference)."

> In my case, I wanted to install the system on an external SSD, while the currently running
> foreign distribution was running from the SD card.  What is nice with this setup is that,
> in case of real trouble (you SSD caught fire or broke), you can still boot from the old

"your SSD"

> foreign system with an installed Guix and all your tools by re-flashing only the bootloader.
>
> In this scenario, we use the foreign system as we would the installer iso, using the manual

Word missing: "we would the installer iso".

Also: iso -> ISO.

> Make sure there is an empty /etc, or the new system won't boot
> properly.

Isn't this a bug in Guix?

Cheers!

--