all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: brian via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
To: Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: questionable advice about Geiser load path setting
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 07:27:22 -0400	[thread overview]

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> The docs contain this recommended Emacs setting:
>
> @lisp
> ;; @r{Assuming the Guix checkout is in ~/src/guix.}
> (with-eval-after-load 'geiser-guile
>   (add-to-list 'geiser-guile-load-path "~/src/guix"))
> @end lisp
>
> I haven't been using it for a while because I remember it causing
> trouble whenever I was working on other Guile projects.  I have been
> running Emacs inside ./pre-inst-env instead, which seems to work just as
> well, if not better.
>
> I'd like to make an amendment to the relevant docs, but would welcome
> some info on why it was originally written this way, maybe there are use
> cases I'm missing.

I agree that it's bad advice, since it assumes the only reason to use
Guile is to hack on Guix. I also think it's not necessary, since
‘.dir-locals.el’ in the Guix root should be taking care of this for you
already. I don't use the manual addition to ‘load-path’ you quote above,
and Geiser seems to work fine (within the bounds of Geiser's definition
of “fine”, anyway).

The downside of using dir-locals is that Emacs yells quite loudly about
unsafe variables being set. Another option may be direnv or bufenv? I
haven't tried them myself, but have heard good things.

-bjc