all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Hinko Kocevar <Hinko.Kocevar@esss.se>
Cc: "help-guix@gnu.org" <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: 'libstdc++.so.6' cannot be found in RUNPATH ()
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:43:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Hinko Kocevar <Hinko.Kocevar@esss.se> skribis:

> The package builds fine, but validate-runpath phase fails with messages:
>
> starting phase `validate-runpath'
> validating RUNPATH of 10 binaries in "/gnu/store/i7qkw5j3d0rm00l2k88p0bbaj6b204fh-epics-adandor-R2-7/lib"...
> /gnu/store/i7qkw5j3d0rm00l2k88p0bbaj6b204fh-epics-adandor-R2-7/lib/linux-x86_64-debug/libandor.so: error: depends on 'libstdc++.so.6', which cannot be found in RUNPATH ()

What this phase does is traverse all the binaries and make sure that
every shared library they depend on (the ‘NEEDED’ entry of the ELF file)
can be found in their ‘RUNPATH’.  IOW, that’s a QA check that we make on
packages by default.

Packages built on systems that follow the file system hierarchy standard
(FHS) typically don’t do that because they assume that things like
libstdc++.so can be found in the “standard location”—i.e., /usr/lib or
similar.

Anyway, you can forcefully bypass this check if you think it’s unneeded,
by adding:

  #:validate-runpath? #f

to the ‘arguments’ field of your package.

HTH,
Ludo’.